New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Messenger Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mattheus

Mattheus is on a distinguished road

Greetings,

I've got a big problem
since several years, MSN Messenger doesn't seem to work anymore on my Mac, when I log in (so far it works) it'll get disconnected after a few secondes with this message:
'You're being disconnected because the service is temporarly inavailable (it's a rough translation from dutch)

Now, that's not really a problem, since I could use alot of alternatives like Mercury Messenger
The problem now is that Mercury Messenger isn't working anymore since a couple of weeks (both version 1.9 as 1.8), but the program does load and it only crashes while logging in.(the little screen stays gray instead of loading the offline/online lists etc..)

Adium Messenger on the other hands doesn't even start..the icon just 'jumps' once in my dock but then it dissapaers.

aMSN doesn't seem to work either

I could use a solution, for school/holidays..etc..

Thanks in advance,
Mattheus
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

reinstall adium and run permissions repair from disk utility

what version of OS X are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
Mattheus

I already did both of the things you suggested

didn't work
Adium still jumps once and dissappears

I'm running OS X.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Are you using the correct version of Adium? You can only use Adium X 1.0.6 since newer versions require OS 10.4 or later. And it's possible that the MSN Messenger service has made changes that older versions of Adium are not compatible with.
http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/AboutAdium
QUOTE Thanks
Mattheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Are you using the correct version of Adium? You can only use Adium X 1.0.6 since newer versions require OS 10.4 or later. And it's possible that the MSN Messenger service has made changes that older versions of Adium are not compatible with.
http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/AboutAdium
Thanks alot
Why didn't I look that up:/

Adium works, great, that'll do for now
just have to figure the programme out, any tips on that?

And do you know anything about MSN and Mercury not working?

But still, tnx, really
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattheus View Post
Thanks alot
Why didn't I look that up:/

Adium works, great, that'll do for now
just have to figure the programme out, any tips on that?
Nope... no tips in particular. It's pretty standard.

Quote:
And do you know anything about MSN and Mercury not working?

But still, tnx, really
I can only suggest deleting the preference files for those and try again. If that doesn't work, try creating a new user on your computer and see if the apps work on that user. If they do, then "something" is amiss with your user account that we'll have to root out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transmission | Having trouble removing an app »