New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iCal icon won't change in the dock via Candybar or Copy/Paste Method

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

precisionelite

precisionelite is on a distinguished road

Hey guys and gals,
I've used candybar and the copy/paste method with great success. However, I can't get the Ical icon to change in the dock. This is strange because the Icon DOES CHANGE in the application folder. I'm thinking it might be permissions, so I took a screen shot. Tell me what you think.
-Greg P

P.S. I love my bling safari icon via iconfactory.com
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Safari's Dock icon (in Leopard) is special, because it has to be constantly updated to show the current date (ie, Dec 15 today, Dec 16 tomorrow.) You can't just replace it (in Leopard) with a picture.
QUOTE Thanks
ogman

ogman is on a distinguished road

technologist - Thanks for that...it was driving me a bit nuts. I also didn't know that the iCal icon changed with the date. Doh!
QUOTE Thanks
wala

wala is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac Aluminum

Thanks--same problem--with Ical--didn't know that.
QUOTE Thanks
neo64

neo64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8 core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Safari's Dock icon (in Leopard) is special, because it has to be constantly updated to show the current date (ie, Dec 15 today, Dec 16 tomorrow.) You can't just replace it (in Leopard) with a picture.
I think you meant the iCal Dock icon. So is there a workaround to change the icon in the dock?
QUOTE Thanks
swirljem

swirljem is on a distinguished road

It can be done. I've searched all over the web and found nothing but I finally figured it out. This method should work on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

First you need to have two replacement iCal icons: one is for the Application with a "fixed" day of the month. The other one is a "blank" or empty icon without the day of the month.

Both icons have to be in icns format, and need to have the following exact filenames:
App.icns
App-empty.icns

To replace these icons, open Finders and go to your Applications folder. Right-click on iCal and select "Show Package Contents". Another Finders window opens up.

You will see the top level folder "Contents". Expand it and look for the "Resources" folder. Expand that and you will see the two icon files. These are the original two which I suggest to make copies and store away for future restoration.

Simply replace these two icns files with the new ones.

Next scroll down and go into another subfolder as follows:
Contents->Resources->iCalDockTilePlugIn.docktileplugin->Contents->Resources

Here you find another App-empty.icns file. Replace it with the new one.

Log out and log back in for the changes to take effect. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Problems | iTunes doesn't start »