New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Chicken of VNC Alternative

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

Hi All,

I've been using Chicken of VNC for a while now to connect to my PC, although I'm finding that it's really limited -- especially when it comes to screen scaling...

Do any of you know of other, more robust, VNC clients available... Something that's feature loaded like UltraVNC would be spectacular.

Thanks in advance for the help,

J
QUOTE Thanks
MacDeac

MacDeac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

I have two alternatives for you. The first is to actually use the UltraVNC viewer under either DarWine or CrossoverMac. I use it in Darwine, which is free, so I am assuming it will work under Crossover.

The second alternative is a new viewer that is under development, but it is the fastest VNC viewer I have used. Its called JollysFastVNC and it is available here.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

If you're connecting to your PC running Windows, you're much better off using Remote Desktop Connection (RDC), a tool that comes with MS Office for Mac 2004 or as a free download from Microsoft. You need to have your PC set for remote connections, but it's easy to do and works fine. I connect to Windows machines running XP Pro and 2003 Server. RDC also has the capability to allow the PC/server to have access to the files on your Mac.

I've tried using VNC clients to connect to Windows machines, and they do a lousy job. For better or worse, RDC gives you a compleat Windows experience.

If your PC is running Linux, I'd be curious as to the problems you're experiencing. I connect to RHLE v4 machines at work on a regular basis using CotVNC and I have no real complaints. The cursor/mouse button interface isn't the greatest, but it's servicable for a day at a time.

Hope this helps!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone .... | NotMac, DotMac Alternative »