New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Kismac woes in Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dieselpwr

dieselpwr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, 120GB HD, 64MB Vram

I am using the latest build of kismac on a new macbook, and I have had no problems up until now. I just installed Leopard today, and boom...kismac would not work with my airport extreme card in passive mode anymore. I was able to get it working with a USB device, but when I try to use the Airport Extreme card in passive mode I get this...Could not initiate driver. Below that title is this "KisMAC was able to load the driver backend for Airport Extreme Card, but it was unable to create an interface. Make sure your capture device is properly plugged in. If you think everything is correct, you can try to restart your computer. Maybe your console.log and system.log show more details."

Is there anybody else having this problem? Is it something I can fix by tweaking some settings, or is it a larger issue than that? I assume it is.
Either way I would very much appreciate input. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
benny532017

benny532017 is on a distinguished road

hi,

im having driver problems too it seems... there are quite a few things in leopard that need ironing out..... if anyone has a solution to this I would be interested

Benny
QUOTE Thanks
vicapow

vicapow is on a distinguished road

i've got the same problem. i've just installed OS X 10.5 Leopard and kismac gave me the same error as you...

(first post btw )
QUOTE Thanks
vicapow

i'd recommend view this thread for more... direct information

http://kismac.tehbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=284
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny532017 View Post
hi,

im having driver problems too it seems... there are quite a few things in leopard that need ironing out..... if anyone has a solution to this I would be interested

Benny
The issue is not Leopard but KisMac. They need to fix the issue, not Apple.

When people start to understand just how many changes there are in Leopard over Tiger and get it out of their mindset that Leopard is NOT just a Service Pack, then it will make sense.

I am sure that the KisMac folks will fix it ASAP.

Sorry if this sounds hard, but I am really tired of all the Leopard is just a facelift with a few stupid features. It's starting to get to me.
QUOTE Thanks
vicapow

no one is blaming leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Uh, it seems like the OP and several folks in the linked thread are. One guy there (Fish) even says "Not surprisingly, Apple has yet again broken functionality with their latest update to the OS (namely Leopard)".

Sounds to me like Apple made changes that broke the way it worked. It's their OS, they can do what they want. A good developer would have been working on it.

QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

In this case, however, the developer has abandoned the project due to Germany's insane new anti-hacking laws. Legitimate security tools, including nessus, nmap, kismac/kismet, and others are officially considered illegal in Germany now. The use or possession of them is a crime, and the creation of them? That's liable to get you into a whole other mess of trouble.

Considering he's in Germany, he decided to just shut down rather than risk the liability or jail time.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
In this case, however, the developer has abandoned the project due to Germany's insane new anti-hacking laws. Legitimate security tools, including nessus, nmap, kismac/kismet, and others are officially considered illegal in Germany now. The use or possession of them is a crime, and the creation of them? That's liable to get you into a whole other mess of trouble.

Considering he's in Germany, he decided to just shut down rather than risk the liability or jail time.
In that case, I don't blame him.

QUOTE Thanks
Marine62

Marine62 is on a distinguished road

All,

I have now read on one site that the problem with getting Kismac (in promiscuous mode) to run on a Macbook Pro Intel core 2 duo is that it depends on the airport extreme card you have. Some MBPs have a Lucent card which works and others have another card not sure of the manufacturer that does not, however some say it is due to some FCC interference trying to crack down on hacking. I am not sure if this is factual since I have not looked into exactly what card I have, but I know it will not work on my Mac and I get the same useless error "KisMAC was able to load the driver backend for Airport Extreme Card, but it was unable to create an interface. Make sure your capture device is properly plugged in. If you think everything is correct, you can try to restart your computer. Maybe your console.log and system.log show more details."

It is too bad to read what Perry Lynch had to say about the development and I am guessing no one is picking up where our German friend left off. Perhaps we can talk him into talking a job outside of Germany?

The below link and any referring to kismac.com do not work I am guessing again due to this guy not wanting to be sent to the reeducation camp or worse prison. What a great way to treat the best and brightest. I thought only our government in the US did this kind of thing.

KisMAC-ng Forum - View topic - Leopard Problems
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal alternatives | Firefox won't login? »