New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iChat to Support MSN?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Will iChat ever support msn messenger in future releases of Mac OS X So i can sign in via my MSN Messenger email?

In the UK not many people use AIM, most people use yahoo or msn messenger
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

same here in NZ.

No one uses aim. all my friends use msn.

I think that apple would incorporate msn to work with iChat but maybe Microsoft is not letting them, because if they did, iChat would become the ultimate chatting program

If the webcam features worked with iChat to msn users I'm sure there will be tonnes of new switchers.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

I don't think Microsoft has the power to determine what companies are allowed to add msn support to their software...do they?!?!

If anything I think apple is more likely to add support for yahoo messenger. Apple seems to be closer to google and yahoo; and apple has already added support for google talk...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
Will iChat ever support msn messenger in future releases of Mac OS X So i can sign in via my MSN Messenger email?

In the UK not many people use AIM, most people use yahoo or msn messenger
I doubt iChat will support MSN anytime soon. Right now it supports AIM, ICQ (through the AIM protocol), GoogleTalk, and Jabber. If they add support for another one, I would bet with you that it will be Yahoo Messenger before MSN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
I don't think Microsoft has the power to determine what companies are allowed to add msn support to their software...do they?!?!
Yes, they do and they have. Legally and technically, they can stop anyone they want from using their service. A few years back when software like Trillium and Adium were trying to build in support most of the IM companies started blocking them and threatened them with lawsuits.

In today's world, the IM companies have changed their outlook on other IM clients and tend to leave them alone. But a company like Apple won't build it in without Microsoft's legal and technical blessing.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Assuming this would be doable, it would come down to licensing fees. If Apple were to implement MSN support in iChat, Apple would have to dish out a hefty amount to M$ for as long as iChat would support that protocol.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

@MacHeadCase for halloween ?
QUOTE Thanks
mpoma

mpoma is on a distinguished road

Being able to use MSN through iChat would be wonderful...no one that I know uses iChat and everyone uses MSN...or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoma View Post
or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.
That would be more likely than Apple adding it to iChat.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
@MacHeadCase for halloween ?
<Off Topic>Yes! You like? I'm just getting in the Halloween spirit! </Off Topic>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoma View Post
Being able to use MSN through iChat would be wonderful...no one that I know uses iChat and everyone uses MSN...or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.
Actually that would be kinda cool and Apple wouldn't have to give a single penny to M$.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

Very nice lol

I'll prob be spending halloween at my cousin's house, cos his birthday's on Halloween. oooooh~~~~~~

I think MS wants iChat to fail, unless Apple is willing to pay A LOT for msn on iChat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PeerGuardian not Leopard compatible? | Photo Booth freezes often »