New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail password problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mpoma

mpoma is on a distinguished road

My mail has developed a rather annoying problem. Over the course of the last week or so, mail frequently prompts me to enter the password for my pop e-mail account which mail is configured to access and download from. Each time I re-enter the password, I ensure that the check box is selected to retain the password in my keychain.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

I have had that problem before, I think its an issue with keychain rather than Mail.app.

I just deleted the password for the email that I was having a problem with in keychain and that fixed the problem.

I don't know if it will work in your case tho....
QUOTE Thanks
mpoma

mpoma is on a distinguished road

I will have to give that a try. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

If you have changed the frequency that mail checks for new mail, that could have an effect. Asking mail to check too often will make it ask. If you have set the frequency to more often, set it back so that mail checks only every 5 minutes or so.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
brb408wpb

brb408wpb is on a distinguished road

I am getting the same issue on a brand new machine. I have 4 different accounts using the same pop server. Mail.app keeps asking me for the passwords even though they are part of preference. I tried deleting the key chain entries with no luck. I had the time at 1 minute, so I will try the 5 minute interval now. I don't get the problem with Thunderbird. Too bad it can't send different accounts via the same smtp entry.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

If all else fails then you could just try deleting that account in mail.app and just setting it up again....
QUOTE Thanks
brb408wpb

I have dropped the accounts. After creating just one, everything seems to be ok. I am adding a second account now.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It probably has nothing to do with mail and everything to do with mail server issues with your ISP or mail provider.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
brb408wpb

I installed Thunderbird as a test, and it doesn't not have the problem using the same set of accounts. I'd hate to switch to that given the mail.app looks a lot nicer. On my PC, Outlook Express and Outlook never have problems easier. I saw some posts from 04/05 where the verdict was mail.app wasn't handling the timeouts with the servers correctly. In either case, it is getting fairly annoying, so I may just be removing mail.app soon.
QUOTE Thanks
brb408wpb

I just added google mail as imap. There was a noticeable difference in how fast it setup the account verus setting up one with verizon. That setup takes about a minute to come back for verfication on the incoming server and outgoing server. They may be the source of the delay, but the mail.app should be able to handle it, right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FF using excessive processor power | Front Row TV Show Issue »