New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

program to download a webpage and all linked pages?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

I'm looking to do some offline work, and I want to see if there is a program that will download a webpage, as well as all the pages it links to (and possibly all the pages that the linked pages link to). I realize this could potentially become a very large file, as the number of pages that would be downloaded would grow exponentially with every increase in the number of nested pages that are downloaded. Anyone know of anything? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You can do that with any FTP app. Just move the files that you need from the server to your computer. Then you can work on your site locally.

If you are trying to do this for a site that you haven't created, then this simply isn't possible unless you have the access, permissions and rights to do so.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
wytey

wytey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM

http://www.pure-mac.com/offline.html

a nice list to start you off
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You can do that with any FTP app. Just move the files that you need from the server to your computer. Then you can work on your site locally.

If you are trying to do this for a site that you haven't created, then this simply isn't possible unless you have the access, permissions and rights to do so.
It's not a site I own/run. It's a site we've been told to use for a class (Gross Anatomy lab - currently canine dissection). Are you saying that what I'm wanting to do isn't legal? It's completely for personal use, no reproduction other than what I look at on my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
It's not a site I own/run. It's a site we've been told to use for a class (Gross Anatomy lab - currently canine dissection). Are you saying that what I'm wanting to do isn't legal? It's completely for personal use, no reproduction other than what I look at on my laptop.
If it is used for educational use (school work) then that would be fine.
If you were looking to download the page to de-construct/re-construct... then that wouldn't be all that fine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post

That will not work on dynamic sites. The app he describes pulls down the rendered HTML pages after being parsed - from any site. No ftp needed. It will automatically convert links and images to work offline.

I think one such app is called suckitdown... versiontracker.com is down right now, so I can't help name a few others.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Here are some

http://www.pure-mac.com/offline.html
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

At the risk of setting off waves of anti Internet Explorer repercussions, IE used to have the ability to save a web page as a "web archive", which I believe did just what you are looking for. If you could find an old Mac copy of IE, it might just do the trick, although I suspect that only IE could read the result...

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can try DeepVacuum. I have not tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I remember watching a Keynote years back where Steve demo'd this feature. It was indeed a "web archive" file and took about 30 minutes to create (he obviously went to a "here's one I made earlier"). It could well have been IE that he was using, because I think Safari has only been around since about 2003.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Harddrive Recovery Program | Can Mac burn ISO+CUE? »