Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Considering a Mac... hopefully
    Camino or Firefox?
    Which web browser should I use as my secondary browser? I know that not all websites will work with Safari and wanted to know if those web sites will be supported by either Camino or Firefox. For example, if a website is IE/Firefox compatible would it run be able to render correctly in Camino since it uses the same Gecko engine as Firefox or something like that... Are there any other pros and cons of each browser I should know of? Thanks for all your help guys!
    Tu Madre =]
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
    I used Firefox for a while, but it takes ages to start and just doesnt really feel well on Mac OS. Now I use Camino, and it is faster, and all the pages look the same and work the same as in Firefox. However, it misses a few minor features that I used in Firefox (multiple tabs as start page, for instance).
    www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future

Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Isn't Camino and Firefox almost the same thing? They both have the same rendering engine.

Just try them out and which ever one you like better then use. I have Firefox as my secondary browser just because that is what I used on my Windows OS.

Specs:
    Considering a Mac... hopefully
    Also, I've heard that it hogs memory, because of a "memory leak"!?
    Tu Madre =]
    Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by thnksfrthmmrs View Post
    Also, I've heard that it hogs memory, because of a "memory leak"!?
    There are tweaks to fix that. Just google "firefox memory leak". I never tried them though.

Specs:
    Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
    Camino doesn't seem any faster than Firefox to me.

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    firefox seems alien in mac os x, its bloated, slow and just ain't mac like. I'd go with camino...

Specs:
    MacBook / Mac Mini
    I use Camino as my primary, and only, web browser. It works with all sites Firefox works with (including my internet bank that does not work in Safari), and it looks so much better than Firefox.

Go Camino :-)

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    Camino is great for 'normal' people. If you're a power user or web developer, use Firefox because it allows many more options.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Specs:
    Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
    How is Firefox not "Mac like"? It has a bookmarks menu, back and forward buttons, etc. Browsers aren't that complicated. Except for Opera, which I hate (it has two separate back buttons that do different things). Also, unless you're running a machine with a PowerPC 603e processor, I think Firefox runs at the same speed as Camino.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
    Isn't Firefox still just PPC? I might be completely wrong =p

I use Camino after using Firefox for years on my windows PC, I just prefer Camino on Macs.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    There is no definitive answer to this question. It is strictly personal taste, like "whose coffee is better, Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds?" (trying to pick two in roughly the same class, hence those choices).

I don't think you will get the answer you are looking for here, unless you just want to see the topic debated!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
    It's kinda funny how many Mac users are quick to say Firefox isn't very Mac OS X-like.

On Windows, Firefox is actually one of the more OS X-like programs.

Look at the Options/Preferences window.
    Older Firefox users will remember how different it used to be before version 1.5.
    From 1.5 onwards, it adopted the look of a typical OS X app's Pref window.

Also, how the toolbars work.
    Usually, on Windows, you move the toolbars themselves, and the toolbar items aren't movable, except in some cases, if there's a "Customize" option.
    If you look at how customizing toolbars work in Firefox, that's almost exactly like typical OS X apps.

And I also find Firefox's design to be Mac-like in the sense that everything is very consistent, especially when it comes to the details.

For instance, middle-clicking and Ctrl/Command-clicking will always open in a new tab.
    It works for links in pages, bookmarks on the Bookmarks Toolbar or in the Bookmarks Sidebar or in the Bookmark Manager, items in the History menu or in the History Sidebar, the View Image context menu item, and even the Home button!
    (and in the next Firefox release, it'll even apply to the Location Bar dropdown's items)

Most Windows apps aren't this consistent and don't pay this much attention to the little details. (Try the middle-clicking/Ctrl-clicking thing in IE7.)

However, Firefox is meant to be cross-platform, and thus, Firefox for Windows and for OS X are nearly identical in every aspect.

As a result, there are compromises on both sides. (However, it's likely that you'll notice them much more on OS X than on Windows. On Windows, you probably wouldn't recognize any "un-Windows-like" elements, because there aren't many standards when it comes to program look & feel and behavior on Windows.)

So while it's true that Firefox is a relatively OS X-like program compared to Windows programs,
    it's also true that it's not as OS X-like as other OS X apps.

But personally, for me, this is an acceptable compromise for the consistency of the design, the fact that in both OS X and Windows, I can use the same browser, one that is somewhere between an OS X app and a Windows program, and of course, the multitude of extensions and themes, etc.

Also, ironically enough, speaking of the middle-click thing,
    there is currently a bug in Camino: Command-clicking a bookmark will open it in a new tab... but middle-clicking a bookmark won't do anything.

The developers have said that they're aware of it, and it'll be fixed... eventually.
    Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
    AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
    VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
    Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    There is no definitive answer to this question. It is strictly personal taste, like "whose coffee is better, Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds?" (trying to pick two in roughly the same class, hence those choices).

I don't think you will get the answer you are looking for here, unless you just want to see the topic debated!
    Nicely put.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    For those arguing over whether FF is Mac like or not, I think people are mainly referring to the lack of Cocoa-style buttons etc, which Camino has, but FF lacks.

Download FF Alpha 3, build 8 (Gran Paradiso) and you'll see this fixed (although it's still pretty buggy).

There are a number of sniffy sites that reject Camino, but are fine with FF and Safari. ABC's media player for a start says it doesn't recognise the browser - my work's remote logon is another, although if I ignore the error it still functions.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Thread Information