New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

financial software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sweetpea_mom

sweetpea_mom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"/2.4GHZ

Hello

My new iMac is being shipped to me as I type...very excited. I would like to find a comprehensive software program to handle our finances and budget. I did look at the two major programs, but found it difficult to discern if they are what we actually want. I am hoping there are members who can help point me in the right direction.

Major program requirements:
~ for Canadians
~ allows receipt entry. This is a major need for our family. I would like to enter receipts manually or by scanning (would I need a receipt scanner too or can I use our regular scanner?) , have the option to list it as a certain type of specific spending (ie Children, sub category diapers, school supplies etc, ) and have a graph print out
~ download financials from several different accounts (mine, DH, RSP etc)
~ work with a tax preparation software

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Theresa
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Have you checked out Quicken for Mac? Supposed to be teh 'stuff' for macs...
QUOTE Thanks
sweetpea_mom

goobimama

Yes, I did check it out but I could only find a Mac U.S. version. Have you seen a Canadian version available?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

http://anon.intuit-canada.speedera.n..._in_Canada.pdf

I dont know anything about financial software. Just going by some instincts here...

I believe the quicken US version itself has this canadian stuff built in. I guess a trial version download should do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea_mom View Post
goobimama

Yes, I did check it out but I could only find a Mac U.S. version. Have you seen a Canadian version available?
If you go to Intuit Canada's Website at www.intuit.ca it will direct you to purchase the Quicken for Mac. While it is a US Program, it can be configured to work in a Canadian setting. It is what is currently recommended by Intuit Canada's website.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
sweetpea_mom

Thanks to both goobimama and bryans83. I have searched extensively on Quicken for Mac, but have read quite a few posts that it isn't a fabulous piece of software. That being said, it's probably fine for what I want to do with it, having never used it on a PC. The Quicken for Mac info does say that I can download directly from my FI, and that is one of my major considerations. I will probably do the trial before I buy.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

My accountant has told me on several occasions to steer clear of Quicken in general. He says it's just confusing and doesn't have a lot of other features you'd need. I could've sworn he pointed me toward QuickBooks, but it looks like that's made by Intuit too?

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not currently using any finance software on my Mac - however, over the past few months - have read countless posts about how bad Quicken for Mac happens to be. It is nothing to compare with Quicken for Windows. There are several members here that have installed windows on their Mac's in major part for MS Money.

There are a few others also
Money
iBank
MoneyDance

I believe they all offer free trials

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I dropped Quicken years ago, the quality went down and they started removing features into the Pro version under Windows; I've heard nothing good about the Mac version. When I do my accounts I use iBank - it's a nice app, it's powerful enough and will do shares and investments too. There's a demo version.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does dual processors actually help in games on Macs? | Madden 08 »