New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Temperature Monitoring & program to load CPU?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

So, two questions... I borrowed my grandmother's mbp for my little brother to do a school project on. While I've got it here I'd like to do a couple things with it. If it goes well I'll go ahead and pick up my birthday present tomorrow (looking at the 17" high res/matte screen MBP with the 7.2k drive in it...).

So, two things:
I need a program that will monitor things like CPU temperature and stuff like that. I've been using hmonitor but I don't know if that's the best program to use or not. Secondly, I need something that's equivalent to say, Prime95 or CPUBurn on a PC-a program that serves no function other than to pile data onto the processor until the poor thing's eyes bug out. (goal being to see just how hot this thing will get when it's running flat out)

Any tips?

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Perhaps iStat for temp.

As far as the system testing, there is a threshold temperature in which the components inside a computer can operate under. Once that threshold has been exceeded, the computer will no longer function until the temperature is at the adequate levels. Wouldn't it be easier to find out this maximum threshold temperature in which the MBP operates under?
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

I'll look into iStat, thanks.

And no, knowing the maximum temperature spec won't do me any good. I have a very good idea of what it is (max. spec for the CPU should be 100*C, very similar for the chipset, GPU is going to be at least 100, probably closer to 120 or higher given that that's what it is on some nVidia desktop parts). That tells me nothing.

Prolonged operation at say, 85 or 90*C, while technically within spec, will result in premature failure of something or other on the board. If not a major chip something like a resistor or a capacitor or an oscillator. And really, it doesn't matter whether the CPU fails or the 100μF capacitor at location C103 packs it in, because either way you're gonna end up with a dead board.

MCCCXXXVII
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

While your taking a look at iStat and don't like the widget solution I suggest taking a look at istat menu also. It's by the same developer only difference you can access the information in the menubar.

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I tried to download and use iStat menu. It downloads and says it is installed successfully. When it opens into the system prefs, it says that pane can't open and that i should contact the software company for a newer version. How do I fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was having some kind of DNS issues or something last night because I couldn't get the istat site to pull up. *shrug*

Regardless, I ended up using chess (computer v. computer, maximum difficulty- takes a good 5 minutes to think between moves) and cinebench to load it up as much as I could-since I couldn't get any WUs from F@H either-and I ended up using Temperature Monitor for monitoring it.

Very interesting results. The base of my grandmother's 2.16 doesn't get completely absurdly hot like all the other MBPs I've used does. CPU cores get up to about 85*C then the fan kicks up a notch and they drop back down to about 78-80.

What I did find that was interesting is that the heatpipe temp is significantly lower than the CPU temp (this is a very bad thing) and the temperature takes FOREVER to come back down after the load is removed. To get back down to 40*C it took almost an hour.

MCCCXXXVII
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
I tried to download and use iStat menu. It downloads and says it is installed successfully. When it opens into the system prefs, it says that pane can't open and that i should contact the software company for a newer version. How do I fix it?
I honestly don't know what might be the problem there...maybe you just drop a line to the developer?

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I figured it out. I already had istat pro widget installed and during install, it would ask me if I wanted to update my prefs pane. All I had to do was say no and now it works.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Two things that will reliably peg my CPUs:

iCal sometimes insists on running a background 'SyncServer' which promptly takes up 99% of the CPU.

Download Checkpoint Secure's VPN software for the Mac. It'll install, require a reboot, and then proceed to take up 100% of your CPU. It does work for what it is supposed to do, but the fan wail makes me not want to use it. That's what VMs running Windows is for. I uninstalled it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mail? | Two ?'s: Airtunes and NeoOffice »