New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Growl

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

Hey guys...

A friends suggested Growl to me as a nice application to have installed...
Considering I'm new to the Mac scene and do not know much about the mac applications, could someone tell me exactly what is growl and how does it work??? Is it of any use to any of you???
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

growl is basically a notification program. Applications such as iTunes and Adium will work with it - so when certain events occur, growl displays a message of that event. A new track for iTunes starts, it'll show the track info and cover art. A friend signs on to Adium (in case you don't know, this is a superior alternative to MSN for mac) and a little message pops up letting you know. There are a number of themes to choose from for growl appearance. It's a great little app that really helps you keep an eye on what's going on on your mac.

From system preferences, you can turn growl on and off for certain applications, and I think you can even choose which events to set it for. If it starts to get annoying for a message to pop up when a friend signs off, I think you can turn that event notification off.

It's a very useful app. Not really for everyone, but I highly recommend it, especially if you don't want to be constantly switching apps to check what's happening. Considering it's free, contains no bugs or flaws I've ever encountered or heard of, it's definitely worth trying.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

completely agreed with dtownley.

works nicely with cog too (audio player app).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

when i installed adium it automatically downloaded growel. I never really touch the program myself but adium uses it and i find its a good little tool
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I love Growl!

I use VirtueDesktops, so having Growl notifications is really useful, especially with Adium as I don't have to switch desktops just to read my IMs. My Mac experience has been greatly improved due to Growl, and the many people who I have recommended it to will agree.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I use growl too, i also love it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i like it. Although it would be even better if anyone knows how to get it to tell u when you have mail.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

I would like to make Microsoft Messenger work with Growl.... Any idea how I add it to the applications list??
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

im not sure but have you tried the latest version of aMSN - very good program
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
i like it. Although it would be even better if anyone knows how to get it to tell u when you have mail.

thanks
Easy.... Install GrowlMail...
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
im not sure but have you tried the latest version of aMSN - very good program
Is that better than Adium???
QUOTE Thanks
Capt Crunch

Capt Crunch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: bottom-of-the-line MacBook

I don't like it for itunes notification because (I guess) iTunes doesn't broadcast the song/title often enough, so when I switch songs using the keys combo I set it doesn't pop up the message right away. It's annoying because I'll switch the song and 5 seconds later a box will pop up. I went back to using synergy, which polls iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
irwjc

irwjc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G

Thanks for everyones input! This is a perfect example of why I love this site/forums. I was wondering what Growl was on my computer and I knew if I popped on here and searched, you'd all have all the info I need! Yay Mac-Forums!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

I dunno, I don;t really see the point of growl here, maybe I don't have a real use for it...
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

I noticed i had this app too on my MBP.

I don’t use my laptop for much other than browsing the web and the odd download. I only use MSN for chatting and use google mail and hotmail as my Email.

I have just updated growl and switched it on.

What can a simple laptop user like me expect???

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 4.0.5 | Safari bookmarks don't display after Click to Flash update »