New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do i download AIM for mac? Ichat sucks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/mac/latest_macosx.adp?aolp=

it says that its compatible with mac and it makes me download a "bin" file but the bin file wont open...
QUOTE Thanks
MacDeac

MacDeac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

AIM for Mac has not been updated in long time, and will crash often. You need to use either iChat or Adium.

I do not understand why everyone likes AIM so much. I used either Trillian or Gaim (now Pidgin) when I was a Windows user. PC users who see my Adium setup wish AIM could do what Adium does.

What is it you don't like about iChat? Chax provides some nice customization options for it, and most users like it once they realize that they usually get it to do what they want it to.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

i love iChat. I'd say you should give it another try.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

remember you can always use another chat client. I have recently started using "adium" and i love it. Adium supports AIM as well as yahoo, icq, msn + more!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you are missing certain features in iChat, be sure to check out Chax.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
If you are missing certain features in iChat, be sure to check out Chax.
so what is better? adium or chax?

my main gripe with ichat is that the letters are way too small (can u adjust this??) and i cannot direct connect with my buddies to receive pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDeac

MacDeac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
so what is better? adium or chax?

my main gripe with ichat is that the letters are way too small (can u adjust this??) and i cannot direct connect with my buddies to receive pictures.
Chax is an add-on for iChat. Adium (an entirely different client) supports direct connect. You can read about it here.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

i have only tried adium. it was the first chat client that i tried and im so pleased with it i haven't bothered looking for another.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I tried iChat, but it wouldn't stay connected to my AIM account, AIM for Mac did the same thing. Finally I got to Adium and have been happy ever since.

I would say, do yourself a favor and skip all the junk right to Adium. Most people here on M-F use it and have tried just about everything else out there.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

I use amsn because it works with my windows friends msn messenger clients, and the isight on my macbook works with it. I don't know anyone on aim, yahoo, or icq.
QUOTE Thanks
Immune Heart

Immune Heart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook, 2.2GHz , 2gb RAM, 160gb HD. iPod 5g 30gb

directly from iChat can you connect/ chat with friends using msn messenger - do you need to configure iChat or what

also can you just have the program msn messenger on the mac??
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have found the opposite, I can Direct Connect better on all my Macs with iChat with my Windows Buddies running AIM than I could with anything on the PC. Give CHAX a try with iChat. Also you can right click and change the Font size.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyway to change to Start-up screen? | Note taking apps? »