New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Playing torrent files.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

How do torrent files work?

I was on one torrent site and downloaded a file, and the extension was ".torrent". I downloaded a couple different torrent clients, one being Azureus. I THINK it was that one that switched the torrent to a ws.pdtv.xvid-remax.avi file. (I'm not sure because I had downloaded a few different programs, and it was really late at night!)

How can I play that ws.pdtv.xvid-remax.avi file?

THEN I downloaded another one, and it downloaded as a bunch of .rar files (without me having to even use Azureus, like, it never just downloaded as a .torrent). StuffitExpander won't do anything with the .rar files.

How can I play those?!

Is torrent supposed to be THIS complicated?!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Torrents are advanced. They will be complicated if you don't know what your doing.

http://dessent.net/btfaq/
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

thanks.
it's still so confusing though!
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

basically a torrent file is a link to download the main file (what ever it may be).

you drag and drop or open the torrent file using the Torrenting program you are using. uTorrent (has good reviews) or for OS X (transmission)
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Here's something I don't understand about Torrents:

Does the torrent file download from the same place no matter what torrent program you are using? For example, I use Bittorrent (I think). Say there are more users worldwide of Transmission. Would I be downloading faster if I used Transmission, since there are more people using it? Or do all the programs go to the same "place" to download the file?

I don't really care about the user interface or anything, just the efficiency of the download.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Here's something I don't understand about Torrents:

Does the torrent file download from the same place no matter what torrent program you are using? For example, I use Bittorrent (I think). Say there are more users worldwide of Transmission. Would I be downloading faster if I used Transmission, since there are more people using it? Or do all the programs go to the same "place" to download the file?

I don't really care about the user interface or anything, just the efficiency of the download.
It doesn't matter. Your bittorrent client downloads from all other clients as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Thank you.
Your welcome. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
QUOTE Thanks
madgibbon

madgibbon is on a distinguished road

Be careful as some torrents block certain torrent clients. Azureus gets lots of negative comments on the Mac. However I use it on my MacBook without any issues. This is one of the more popular torrent clients and isn't generally blocked.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

the clients access the file, not the other clients... so what client anyone else has is irrelevant.
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

ok, so once i get azureus to download the files, how to I actually play the video?! I've downloaded a few different torrents, and they always turn out as really obscure file formats!
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

it depends on the file, not all torrents are the same file. if it is just a video (avi, mp4, mpg... ect) than quicktime should play them fine. what kind of file formats are you getting?
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki99 View Post
it depends on the file, not all torrents are the same file. if it is just a video (avi, mp4, mpg... ect) than quicktime should play them fine. what kind of file formats are you getting?

well the last one i tried to play was an xvid .avi file. i think it may have just been a messed up torrent, because I tried a few different things that probably should have played it and they didn't...

I downloaded a special xvid thingy...
I don't even remember what it was cuz I downloaded a BUNCH of stuff that night, and it was really late
lol
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

To play XVID-encoded files, you need this: http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

It's a QuickTime extension. I believe it just involves copying a few files to the Library directory on your machine.

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Armstrong View Post
To play XVID-encoded files, you need this: http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

It's a QuickTime extension. I believe it just involves copying a few files to the Library directory on your machine.

hmmm that link didn't work for me...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto problem | Dot Mac Backup »