New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office: Mac - Installation Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UkuleleElvis

UkuleleElvis is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I recently bought myself a brand new MacBook that came with a trial version of Microsoft Office: Mac.

As I already own a copy of Microsoft Office: Mac 2004 (Student & Teacher Edition) - I didn't bother with the trial version and just wanted to install my full copy onto my new computer. I knew I had to remove the trial version before installing the full version - however instead of clicking the 'Remove Microsoft Office' icon I just dragged the whole Microsoft Office Trial folder from Applications to the Trash and deleted it. Big mistake! Now when I try to install the full version it won't let me!

Because I didn't uninstall the trial version "properly" some sort of hidden residual data is hiding somewhere on my new MacBook - and now my MacBook refuses to proceed with an installation of the full product. I rang Apple Support who couldn't help me - they say it's a Microsoft problem - and Microsoft Support told me it's an Apple problem!

I've searched folders on my MacBook but can't find any left over Microsoft files. How can I install a perfectly legitimate copy of Microsoft Office on my MacBook now?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

check for a plist file for MS Office. The plist file is the preferences file for the MS Office trial. Delete that and then try to install ms office....
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitching101

Macswitching101 is on a distinguished road

how are u suppose to do this
QUOTE Thanks
mikeysmith86

mikeysmith86 is on a distinguished road

I am having exactly the same problem - can anyone help...?!? My one is telling me to check that my Product Key is correct - which it is - and won't let me install ((
QUOTE Thanks
toesonthenoes12

toesonthenoes12 is on a distinguished road

i have a similar problem....when i first got my mac i deleted the trial version and used open office. now my friend has codes i can use from his school that would give me Microsoft office. Im just wondering how i get the trial version back on my mac so i can just punch the code i have in.

-sorry for putting this on your forum im new to this mac forums stuff...dont know how to make my own
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesonthenoes12 View Post
i have a similar problem....when i first got my mac i deleted the trial version and used open office. now my friend has codes i can use from his school that would give me Microsoft office. Im just wondering how i get the trial version back on my mac so i can just punch the code i have in.P
Be aware Microsoft will know the product code and where it illegally comes from.
QUOTE Thanks
toesonthenoes12

toesonthenoes12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Be aware Microsoft will know the product code and where it illegally comes from.
I am i aware of that but the code isn't illegal. He works at a school so they have a lot of codes and can give some to friends and family.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

To the OP:

Microsoft Office comes with an uninstaller - likewise for the trial version. It can probably be removed by "brute" force but MS scatters files and folders which are hard to find unless you know where they are.

Try using Spotlight search for Microsoft folders and files. Delete them one by one if possible. Otherwise, you may have to download the trial version of Office 2008 and run the install\uninstall program to completely remove it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Mail to PC image received as icon | Call of Duty 4 on the 2.0GHz Macbook »