Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   Microsoft Office: Mac - Installation Problem (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/75797-microsoft-office-mac-installation-problem.html)

UkuleleElvis 09-03-2007 06:48 PM

Microsoft Office: Mac - Installation Problem

Hi there,

I recently bought myself a brand new MacBook that came with a trial version of Microsoft Office: Mac.

As I already own a copy of Microsoft Office: Mac 2004 (Student & Teacher Edition) - I didn't bother with the trial version and just wanted to install my full copy onto my new computer. I knew I had to remove the trial version before installing the full version - however instead of clicking the 'Remove Microsoft Office' icon I just dragged the whole Microsoft Office Trial folder from Applications to the Trash and deleted it. Big mistake! Now when I try to install the full version it won't let me!

Because I didn't uninstall the trial version "properly" some sort of hidden residual data is hiding somewhere on my new MacBook - and now my MacBook refuses to proceed with an installation of the full product. I rang Apple Support who couldn't help me - they say it's a Microsoft problem - and Microsoft Support told me it's an Apple problem!

I've searched folders on my MacBook but can't find any left over Microsoft files. How can I install a perfectly legitimate copy of Microsoft Office on my MacBook now?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

shahvikram123 09-03-2007 07:04 PM

check for a plist file for MS Office. The plist file is the preferences file for the MS Office trial. Delete that and then try to install ms office....

Macswitching101 09-04-2007 11:52 PM

how are u suppose to do this

mikeysmith86 09-06-2007 02:21 PM

I am having exactly the same problem - can anyone help...?!? My one is telling me to check that my Product Key is correct - which it is - and won't let me install :o(:o(

toesonthenoes12 02-23-2009 09:31 PM

Similar Problem

i have a similar problem....when i first got my mac i deleted the trial version and used open office. now my friend has codes i can use from his school that would give me Microsoft office. Im just wondering how i get the trial version back on my mac so i can just punch the code i have in.

-sorry for putting this on your forum im new to this mac forums stuff...dont know how to make my own :P

harryb2448 02-23-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toesonthenoes12 (Post 809482)
i have a similar problem....when i first got my mac i deleted the trial version and used open office. now my friend has codes i can use from his school that would give me Microsoft office. Im just wondering how i get the trial version back on my mac so i can just punch the code i have in.P

Be aware Microsoft will know the product code and where it illegally comes from.

toesonthenoes12 03-03-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 809486)
Be aware Microsoft will know the product code and where it illegally comes from.

I am i aware of that but the code isn't illegal. He works at a school so they have a lot of codes and can give some to friends and family.

chscag 03-04-2009 12:18 AM

To the OP:

Microsoft Office comes with an uninstaller - likewise for the trial version. It can probably be removed by "brute" force but MS scatters files and folders which are hard to find unless you know where they are.

Try using Spotlight search for Microsoft folders and files. Delete them one by one if possible. Otherwise, you may have to download the trial version of Office 2008 and run the install\uninstall program to completely remove it.

Regards.