New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Google Earth

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP and iMac; 2 iPhones 4G; 2 iPADS.

I can successfully download and use Google Earth one time. Thereafter, the dock icon shows a "?" mark and the program will not open. This also happens some time with Quicktime. I have unchecked the section in Safari that will allow popups.

Can anyone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Does this happen on both your MBP and iMac? I have never had any issues with Google Earth running. Is it the latest version of Google Earth?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I suspect the icon in the dock is pointing to the file which was in the virtual disk when you downloaded it. The disk will now be in the trash, so drag the icon out of the dock and replace it with the one in Applications.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Redifer

Joe Redifer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc

Yeah, basically when you download something like that, it'll be on a virtual disk like Alexis mentioned. You need to drag it from that disk to the Finder somewhere, then trash/eject the disk. Keep the original in the Applications folder, then then drag it into your Dock. It'll work fine forever and ever.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

When you drag an application icon to the dock, it's not the actual application its an alias (or a shortcut) which your dragging to the dock. An alias different to a shortcut from windows because no matter where you put the original file, the alias will always locate it and open it.

Therefore I would guess that you did not install the application properly.

check out this thread to see how to correctly install applications: dmg files and ejecting programs?
QUOTE Thanks
lumpy

lumpy is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain to me why whenever I open GE the tip of the day box comes up and will not go away? I cannot use the program at all as the tip of the day box is stuck there and will not allow me to close it.

I cannot even quit GE properly and have to use force quit.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
Can someone explain to me why whenever I open GE the tip of the day box comes up and will not go away? I cannot use the program at all as the tip of the day box is stuck there and will not allow me to close it.

I cannot even quit GE properly and have to use force quit.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
I had a similar problem until I went to the website and downloaded the update. The tip would come up, I could not do anything and the app froze. I had to force quit. When I went to the website and downloaded the newest version, everything went back to being fine. I can now turn off the tip and use the program. Maybe that is your problem as well?

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Front Row - Cant play films | itunes: My itunes bought music »