New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes questions... HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lucibel

Lucibel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch

Browsed around a bit, and haven't been able to find somthing on this.

Happens that I deleted all the songs from the HD, since I already have'em on my iPod. Now, I want to do a couple things: rename some songs, and add some others to a new folder in the iPod... but I can't, because they don't exist on my HD anymore. So far, I get that... but why not!? Do I need to transfer all the songs I want to modify in iTunes from the iPod to my HD again, using Senuti? Or is it a way around it...

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Thx in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You can modify the song files and their data within iTunes while the iPod is plugged in and shows up in iTunes. You may have to turn on Manual sync to do this (i.e turn off Auto Sync) and to keep the iPod in iTunes.

You can't move the song files around, but you can create new playlists etc within iTunes on the iPod.

Why did you delete the music off your computer? If the iPod bites it or has to be reformatted, your out all that music.

QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

Mac Specs: MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch

Mmm forgot to mention something... does it have anything to do that my iPod is "Windows formatted"?

Yeap, the iPod is plugged when I try to modify the tags or to create a new playlist and drag the songs there... but like, when I try to modify the song, I get a funky error that states that I cannot do that 'cuz the song is "write-protected or of the wrong kind".

By "manual sync" you mean the option "Manually manage music and videos"? Cuz I cannot find where to turn off auto-sync

And finally... I deleted all my songs from the HD cuz I have too many need the space. I know I'm at risk if my iPod goes cuckoo but well.. I could die tomorrow too and then it wouldn't matter that much then
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It should not matter if the iPod is Windows formatted.

Yes I mean the option to manually manage songs.

Your vague error description doesn't help any. Maybe you should write it down verbatim and post it here.

QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

Weird... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I followed your instructions, but I still can't rename the tags or copy the songs to a new playlist... drives me crazy lol!

EDIT:

And I just realized I can't even play all those songs from the iPod on iTunes, that are no longer on the HD (with the iPod connected, of course)... that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

No, it's not. What happens when you try to play them?

QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

A window pops up with the following message:

"The song 'Name' could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?".

If I click "OK", I can browse my HD, but obviously the songs aren't there anymore...

And when I try to rename a tag on a song I get the following pop up:

"Could not convert ID3 tags for all of the selected songs. The songs may be write protected or of the wrong kind".
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Try using Senuti to move your songs from iPod to your Mac. Then rebuild the iTunes Library with the songs.
-Dave
More info at this link:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60809085501683

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

Yeah, I guess thatīs what Iīll have to do. I just didnīt want it to come down to this, hehe. Donīt know what went wrong and when

Thanx for your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal Question: Email Alerts | Um... did I turn off the "quit unexpectedly" dialog? »