New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail.app and Gmail...Downloading 1 message at a time.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaitak98

kaitak98 is on a distinguished road

I have Mail.app set up with my Gmail account through POP. When I hit "Get Mail" only one message is downloaded at a time. Mail also stoped downloading any messages about halfway through importing my inbox.

I deleted the account and started over, and the results are the same. I have Mail set up to check mail every minute so I'm only getting 60 messages an hour. I haven't gotten to the point where it has stopped all together.

Any idea what is going on? This isn't a huge deal since I normally use the web interface for Gmail. But it would be nice to have messages stored locally for the rare times when I don't have internet access.

Thx-
QUOTE Thanks
Cat

Cat is on a distinguished road

Same problem here: the number of emails downloaded diminished until it stopped gettin any emails,
Mail recently resumed downloading 1 message at a time, then stopped again.
Very bad for me since I'm on costly cell phone modem in rural areas!

I use the script "~/Library/Scripts/Mail scripts/Turn on logging.scpt" to view the POP session: it looks like Mail.app just QUITs after receiving the LIST of pending messages!

Ideas for troubleshooting are very welcome, or solutions
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Capt Crunch

Capt Crunch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: bottom-of-the-line MacBook

I have the same problem and a related problem. I will get my replies to messages in my own inbox. So I'll reply to someones email, and soon after I get an email from myself containing my reply. I think it has to do with the way gmail does that "coversations" set up but I'm not sure how to get rid of it.
QUOTE Thanks
lworth02

lworth02 is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is years old, but with the hope that SOMEONE can help me--I've been having the same exact problem, literally for years now. I've found similar reports scattered throughout the web from 2007/2008/2009 on various forums (some of them my old pleas!), but never a solution or even an explanation of what's going on. I do NOT want to use IMAP, nor is disabling/reenabling POP a viable option. A world of thanks in advance for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitak98 View Post
I have Mail.app set up with my Gmail account through POP. When I hit "Get Mail" only one message is downloaded at a time. Mail also stoped downloading any messages about halfway through importing my inbox.

I deleted the account and started over, and the results are the same. I have Mail set up to check mail every minute so I'm only getting 60 messages an hour. I haven't gotten to the point where it has stopped all together.

Any idea what is going on? This isn't a huge deal since I normally use the web interface for Gmail. But it would be nice to have messages stored locally for the rare times when I don't have internet access.

Thx-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Solution to missing slides when opening .ppt in Keynote | Having problems with Transmission! »