New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Calling all SUPERGEEKS! I need help with SSH log-in from PC to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

Hi guys,
I'm attempting to access my Mac from a friends PC using SSH.
I've downloaded and installed Putty on the PC, then entered my Mac's address as:
ssh my name@my ip address
and\or
my name@my ip address (without the 'ssh')

I get a fairly quick Network Error: Connection timed out.

My Mac back home is configured with automatic DHCP, and I use DyNS to assign a permanent IP address online, which I'm pretty sure is different from the one my Mac has offered me in System Prefs. Could that be the problem? I haven't turned the Mac off since it offered me an IP address to connect to through SSH.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Did you turn SSH on and configure your firewall?
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Yes, I turned SSH on, not sure about the firewall though. I think I turned it off, which I tend to do, but perhaps it's on. Is Putty a good client, or are there better ones?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Are you on the same sub-net as in xxx.yyy.zzz.A and xxx.yyy.zzz.B?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Are you on the same sub-net as in xxx.yyy.zzz.A and xxx.yyy.zzz.B?
Hmm, I'm afraid you've lost me there. I'm new to this SSH thing. I'm literally wanting to try to access my Mac online so as to learn how to have a Terminal session from afar.
QUOTE Thanks
montes.c

montes.c is an unknown at this point

Click on the Apple on the top left -

System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login

Firewall Tab

Poke Around... Do you have a router? You probably need to open the port on it
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by montes.c View Post
Click on the Apple on the top left -

System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login

Firewall Tab

Poke Around... Do you have a router? You probably need to open the port on it
Thanks for the response. I'm nowhere near my Mac, hence the attempt to access it from afar. I don't have a router anyway, just a cable modem. I've turned on remote login already, but I fear it has something to do with my dynamic IP address.
QUOTE Thanks
montes.c

montes.c is an unknown at this point

Dynamic or Static I.P. addresses, it does not matter. Unless you're trying to ssh into a URL domain where the mac hosts it, which I doubt.

The only thing I can think of is that the ssh port is blocked where your mac resides..

I dont have enough information about your setup, your mac is afar, ok, but where? Is it behind routers where it is? What is the setup, wherever your mac is. Where the fuc.k is it at? Need more info, I can't help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Hmm, ok. My Mac is at Home, Wirelessly connected to a cable Modem. That's the set up. There is nothing else. It's in Paris, I'm in the south of France. On my mates PC. When I turned on remote login, i was given the ip address to access, in terminal, in the form I wrote in my first post. Sorry, but that's the setup.
When i open Putty t asks me to enter the address, then it has a box for the port, which is already filled in with 22.
IS that the standard access port into a Mac? Perhaps that needs changing.
I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

Ports forwarded?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

If your user name is "Simbad".... and your IP is 12.123.1.123, you would open Putty and in the "address" Field type: Simbad@12.123.1.123 ***Note: The user name IS cAsE sensitive.... Then press ENTER. A new screen will pop-up asking for your password (the Simbad Admin password, which is also case sensitive).

QUOTE Thanks
iRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbad54 View Post
Hmm, ok. My Mac is at Home, Wirelessly connected to a cable Modem. That's the set up. There is nothing else. It's in Paris, I'm in the south of France. On my mates PC. When I turned on remote login, i was given the ip address to access, in terminal, in the form I wrote in my first post. Sorry, but that's the setup.
When i open Putty t asks me to enter the address, then it has a box for the port, which is already filled in with 22.
IS that the standard access port into a Mac? Perhaps that needs changing.
I appreciate the help.

My guess is that its an internal IP address that the Mac gave you (and you are infact behind a router also).

If thats the case you need to get your external IP address (that of your router). Next you need to set up port 22 to forward to the internal IP address of your Mac.

So for example your internal address is 192.168.1.xx then you would set up ports 22 - 22 on your router to forward to 192.168.1.xx

--------------------

Then you need to make sure that your external IP stays that way, you have two options.

Get a static IP address or use something like http://www.dyndns.com/ .
I'm using dynDNS and it works pretty good. It just gives you a host name that you can connect to rather than an IP... that way everytime your IP address changes, DynDNS updates it against the hostname.

I haven't had any problems with it yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock View Post
My guess is that its an internal IP address that the Mac gave you (and you are infact behind a router also).

If thats the case you need to get your external IP address (that of your router). Next you need to set up port 22 to forward to the internal IP address of your Mac.

So for example your internal address is 192.168.1.xx then you would set up ports 22 - 22 on your router to forward to 192.168.1.xx

--------------------

Then you need to make sure that your external IP stays that way, you have two options.

Get a static IP address or use something like http://www.dyndns.com/ .
I'm using dynDNS and it works pretty good. It just gives you a host name that you can connect to rather than an IP... that way everytime your IP address changes, DynDNS updates it against the hostname.

I haven't had any problems with it yet.
Just to refer you to my first post, I am using DynDNS to supply a permanent IP, so I guess that is where the fault is, as I'm trying to connect to the internal address. I am definately not behind a router, it is just a Cable Modem, nothing more. Does my Aiport express count? I haven't needed to configure that for anything as far as I remember. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

You are entering an "external IP" (NOT 192.168.X.X) into Putty correct???
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

it's in the form of "ssh myname@10.2.X.X"
I think I need the address that DynDNS gives me, which is something starting with 83.X.X.X
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes: play count vs. has been played | Iron On Transfer Help »