New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Sites that can only be opened by internet explorer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skl04

skl04 is on a distinguished road

There are quite a number of sites that could only be opened by IE. Is there a way to overcome this problem. I have tried using safari, firefox, opera, netscape. thx
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything native to the Mac that can display IE-specific websites. The only way would seem to be either Boot Camp or a virtualization program such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

This is the reason why I have Parallels on my Mac. Just in case I run into a site that requires IE, I can just fire up Windows within OS X

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

If that's the reason you have Parallels on your Mac, you could probably just use Crossover instead. It will at least take shorter time for most of the stuff you'll view.
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

It sure seems that people would take into consideration when creating a website that there are more browsers out there than IE. even in the Pc world, i dont know to many people who use IE all the time. its usually firefox. and with the growing number of people using macs, by making a website that only works with IE, you are just limiting your business.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I read somewhere that there was an Internet Explorer plug in for FireFox. I'll look it up and let ya know.
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

If I remember correctly, that plugin just embeds the IE rendering engine into a Firefox tab. In other words, you still need IE installed on your (windows) computer to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Darn it... The good news there is a Plug in for FireFox, the Bad news it isn't released for Mac OSX... bummer!

Sorry!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yea, I would have suggest IETab if he were using Windows.

I rarely turn on Parallels as 99.9% of the websites I visit work just fine in Firefox. So firing up Parallels once in a blue moon isn't that big of a deal.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

There is a plug-in for Firefox that makes it spoof one of several browsers, including IE, but it's effectiveness is hit-or-miss (mostly miss). Check it out:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dot Mac Update tomorrow? | Packet editor for Mac? »