New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

transfer my $5000 software from powerbook to macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

betl

betl is on a distinguished road

I have about $5000 software on my powerbook g4. I love this baby, and it has been through a lot with me. But it's getting clogged and i would like to start fresh on a mabook.

is there any way I can save the $5000 worth of software i've accumulated on this powerbook? that's such a waste... I don't even need to keep it all, but I would like to have the basics at least (photoshop, word, soho notes, mail, etc..)..

on a flash drive maybe?
can i reload them and enter the license key? what if i don't have the boxes which i bought everything in.. how would i find the licensing keys, etc.?

is there ANY way? even if it's not totally legit?

ANY help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
haribo

haribo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.67Mhz Hi Res - 2gig RAM, 100g 7200 HD + Pismo G3 400Mhz - 512mb RAM, 30g HD

Can't you just use the Migration Assistant to transfer everything?
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Good Lord, man! Just use the Migration Assistant!

Edit: haribo has faster typing-foo than I.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

well you do have all your original discs right? seems you may not be totally legit.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

The Migration Assistant won't do that.

Fallooza is roit.
QUOTE Thanks
betl

Nope, don't have any of the discs.

Will Migration Assistant do this? Then will it be on the old AND new computer? Is that illiegal?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallooza View Post
well you do have all your original discs right? seems you may not be totally legit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betl View Post
Nope, don't have any of the discs.
Man, if I spent that much on software (and I have come close to that) I would make certain that those discs were locked up in a air-tight vault!
You might be able to get replacement discs if you contact the software manufacturers. You have the keys/serials for them, so it might not be a big issue for them, but you might have to pay a small replacement fee (probably no more than a few $ per disc). That would be a much better option IMO.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
betl

Well actually, I bought this powerbook used from a professional artist.. so I didn't pay $5,000, but I did still pay for it.

So, migration assistant won't transfer applications?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Well actually, I bought this powerbook used from a professional artist.. so I didn't pay $5,000, but I did still pay for it.
..then to answer your other question:
Quote:
Nope, don't have any of the discs. ... Then will it be on the old AND new computer? Is that illiegal?
Yes, it is illegal. If someone sold you a computer pre-loaded with ~$5000 worth of software and didn't include the discs in the sale, then that is illegal. It would also be illegal to then transfer that software to yet another computer, even if you didn't keep it on the computer you transferred it from.
You more or less paid for pirated goods. I would wager that the "professional artist" kept the software discs and then used them to install all of it to yet another machine. That would be fine if he owned all of the computers with the software on them and kept the discs, but as soon as he sold one, then he no longer owns that machine and legally the software can't stay on it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
betl

OK, what if I transfered the software, but then deleted it from my powerbook? How would I do that?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I think you don't understand what we are trying to say here: no matter which one of your computers the software stays on, it is illegal for you to have the programs.

The guy that bought the software should have deleted the software from the PowerBook he sold you.

OR, if he sold the PowerBook WITH the software (IF the software was included in the price of the PowerBook), he should have GIVEN YOU the software install disks with the licence codes: that is the only way it would be legal for you to have these programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
OK, what if I transfered the software, but then deleted it from my powerbook? How would I do that?
In theory, copying the entire contents of your application folder and /user/library and /library should mean some of the apps will work. However, the only real way to do this is to get the original install discs (or replacements from the publisher) and ensure you have your user codes.

Note that not all of your software will work though, because some PPC apps won't work under Rosetta (although many will).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
..then to answer your other question:Yes, it is illegal. If someone sold you a computer pre-loaded with ~$5000 worth of software and didn't include the discs in the sale, then that is illegal. It would also be illegal to then transfer that software to yet another computer, even if you didn't keep it on the computer you transferred it from.
You more or less paid for pirated goods. I would wager that the "professional artist" kept the software discs and then used them to install all of it to yet another machine. That would be fine if he owned all of the computers with the software on them and kept the discs, but as soon as he sold one, then he no longer owns that machine and legally the software can't stay on it.
Either that or he Downloaded cracked versions from the net/torrents and installed them to get more money from you. If you have any contact with him and he is a close friend I would confront him about it if I was you.

You're the one that can get in trouble for this if you don't get it sorted out.
(Theres probably not a great chance... but you never know)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail problem | Boomark Management in Safari 3 on Tiger 10.4 »