New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

"Mail cannot update your mailbox because your home directory is full"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

So i get the following message when I try and open mail:

"Mail cannot update your mailbox because your home directory is full: You must free up space in your home folder before using mail. Delete unneeded documents or move documents to another volume"

I have over 5GB in hard disk space left.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, you have 5GB but the system uses a fair amount of space as virtual memory. It's recommend to leave around 10% of your drive space free for such occasions.

I'd try to remove some files you don't need and give it another try.
Search around, there are a ton of space saving hints in older forum threads!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Running with 5GB can be frustrating at times. As Aptmunich said, OS X allocates space dynamically for the virtual memory. If it can't find enough, you would see the "Beachball" running more often than normal. I would suggest you to free some space or transfer some of the big files to an external HD.
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

ok so i got rid of some stuff and now i gave over 15gb of space and I am still having the problem.

Just got rid of more stuff...23gb of space
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Have you tired repairing permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

how do i repair the permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Open Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.app
Select the HDD from the left column
Click on "Repair Disk Permissions"
After its completed restart the MB.(Just in case.....)
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

I am still having the same problems.
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

Ok I found out what the problem is
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304807
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Ah - well done!

Plus now you have plenty of room again as well!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal Alarms + Google Calendar | Personal Finance Software »