New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

VLC stutters when playing Divx or DVDs over network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

VLC video player stutters when playing DIVX (avi) or DVDs over my network. My Windows laptop has not issues playing these files over my network. Any ideas what may be causing this? If I copy the files to my mac, they run fine. Anyone recommend a better player than VLC ?

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I don't think you'll find a better or smoother player than VLC. I'm sure these are things you've already checked but:

Is there any other network traffic?
Are the Mac and PC connected at the same speed (ie 100mbps ethernet Vs. gigabit ethernet. 802.11G Vs. pre-n etc)?
Is there any other software running (I have trouble on my G4 watching video while iTunes, eyeTV or other big apps are running)?
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

I think I answered this on another forum already, but...

I have the same issues when just connection to the other computer as a networked drive. VLC has server type streaming functionality, you will have to google to find out how to set it up.

I just installed Perian codec pack, and then share the drive with the movies on it, and connect to it from the computer I want to watch on. I then create an Alias, and put that in Movies under my Home directory and use FrotnRow.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video recording | Coda Question »