New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

Question...

I am looking to get an iMac, but should I get office 2004 now? Or should I wait til later in the year and get 2008? When new versions of office come out, do you need to buy the new version, or do they sell upgrades to what you have? I don't want to end up spending tons of money on both versions. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Unless you NEED Excel and Powerpoint, just forget about Office. iWork will do just fine.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Answer... (gotta love Dwight)

You could also just download NeoOffice off of the Internet, I hear it works just like Microsoft Word.
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

I do need PowerPoint and Excel... I use a Mac for my school district and we use Word and PowerPoint, so I need to be able to transfer things from my computer to my district computer. Plus, I like Office.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well, then it sounds like your better off finding a deal such as maybe a student discount (if you are one) somewhere and just getting Office 2004 until 2008 comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

But if I bought office 2004 and waited for 2008 to come out, wouldn't I end up buying two? Or do they make a full version and an upgrade version? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Hmm, I'm not sure on that one.
QUOTE Thanks
BananaPancakes

BananaPancakes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

Microsoft usually releases upgrades along with new releases of Office, but I find them to be pretty expensive (usually in the $100-$200 USD range at full price?). I couldn't find a release date, but Microsoft says second half of 2007, so I would personally wait.

If you absolutely need it now, I suggest just trying the free alternatives, NeoOffice and OpenOffice, and see if you can live with it until the release of Office 2008. You never know, you might find yourself liking one of the programs and avoiding Office 2008 altogether, which will save you a lot of money.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Unless you NEED Excel and Powerpoint, just forget about Office. iWork will do just fine.
Entourage is great too.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Uhh, Powerpoint? It's called Keynote...
QUOTE Thanks
mcnees287

mcnees287 is an unknown at this point

Not incouraging piracy here, but you might want to check out a torrent of office 2004. Then buy office 2008 when it comes out. just and idea.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Benefits of using Apple Mail for Gmail? | How to emulate a DVD unit. »