New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Photoshop on G3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iCharlie2661

iCharlie2661 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1st mac: iMac G4 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD. 2nd mac: iMac G3 (OS X Tiger) 20 GB HD 128 MB RAM

I have an iMac G3 running Tiger with 128 mb Ram. I'm thinking about buying a copy of Photoshop CS from an online store (don't worry nothing illegal) but i was wondering.. is 128 MB sufficient to do at least basic stuff in Photoshop CS? I'm not looking to do anything super advanced, i'm just wondering if it's possible.

I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

128 MB is barely sufficient for Tiger itself, let alone running any apps under it.
The basic system requirements for Tiger are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
DVD drive for installation
256 MB of RAM
3 GB of available hard disk space (4 GB if you install the developer tools)
To answer your question, yes it will run. Run being the relative word. Will it run well? No, it won't. Not even for "simple" tasks.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iCharlie2661

Mac Specs: 1st mac: iMac G4 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD. 2nd mac: iMac G3 (OS X Tiger) 20 GB HD 128 MB RAM

crap. thanks anyway. maybe i'll upgrade my ram. i've been putting it off for some time now. another question... i jusst ordered the g3 off ebay and it hasn't arrived yet. will it run tiger super slow or anything?

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

For a G3 I'd recommend you up the ram to 256 MB or more. Well on my old 333mhz imac with 256 MB ram and 10.3, it ran most apps incliding photoshop just fine. Sure editing those mega huge files take a little time but it all works just fine.

And another thing about photoshop is you can always get the CS 3 and if you ever upgrade your mac to something intel, you'll have it there.
QUOTE Thanks
iCharlie2661

I installed Photoshop and it runs fine. Not any record breaking speed or anything, but it's stable. I'll probably upgrade to 512 anyways.(as soon as i get the money)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat setup help | Apps crashing all over, help!! »