New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I find the product key I used?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NoVARaif

NoVARaif is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 200GB, Smokin! :)

Good morning all -

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there!

My question this morning is thus... I've installed my purchased copy of Office Mac 2004 already on my Mac, but don't recall which of the three keys, that came with the software, that I used. I would like to figure that out, so I can track the keys in software I use for tracking all the errata of my digital life.

For Windoze, I have used the MagicJellyBean finder to determine what keys are used on a PC, and was wondering if there is a similar utility out there for us. I did go, for example, and look at About Entourage, but the product key it shows is all numeric.

Thanks // Ian
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

It should display the product key on the "splash screen" when you start Word or any of the other Office apps.

Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yep, it displays the first portion of the Serial, enough for you to pick it out on the packaging at least.

QUOTE Thanks
NoVARaif

I appreciate everyone's replies...

Forgive my stupidity, perhaps it's just a remnant of being a PC user for 20+ years, but, I'm still not able to correlate the information displayed between the "About:<MS Office Mac App>" window and the product keys on the back of my MS Office Mac CD case. For example:

Product Key format on back of CD case is AlphaNumeric:
AAAAN-NNAAA-ANAAA- ... etc ....

Product Key format displayed by "About: <MS Office Mac App>" is numeric:
NNNNN-NNN-NNNNNNN-... etc ...

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks // Ian
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You're right. I always assumed that Product Key on the Splash was the SN, but it's not. I have no idea how to do what you want. I wrote the names of the Computer users by each key on my package so I would know later.

QUOTE Thanks
NoVARaif

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You're right. I always assumed that Product Key on the Splash was the SN, but it's not. I have no idea how to do what you want. I wrote the names of the Computer users by each key on my package so I would know later.
That's EXACTLY what I FORGOT to do, which is how I got where I am! ROFL

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

There has to be a way. I will check my Office 2004 install and get back to you if I find it.
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

Wouldn't Microsoft be able to tell you if you have the Product ID? I forget now whether I had to activate Office 2004 via the Internet now.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

There isn't an activation process for Office 2004:Mac like there is for the Windows versions, so in reality it wouldn't matter which serial number you use as it would still work, however for the type A personality person I can see why they might want to keep track of which ones they used and where :-) I do not however have the answer of how to figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Close Button on side of Tab | So how stable is the Safari 3 Beta (OS X)? »