New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office Suite V Neo-Office Suite

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey everyone

I currently use Neo-Office for my typing and presentations but am wondering if the microsoft alternative is better?

I know neo-office is free but sometimes (and its hard to say this) Microsoft do make a good product and I do regulary use office on windoze machines whilst studying without an issue.

I really like the look of 07' for windoze, Do we know when microsoft will be releasing the OSX version?

I like Neo-office but it sometimes doesnt feel very responsive, and I just dont feel "At home" like i do when using Office by Micro$oft

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I personally use Microsoft Office because of its richer features and the absolute necessity of compatibility when doing work. Then again, on an Intel mac I might wait for Office 2007/2008 whatever they're releasing for OS X as a Universal Binary soon.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I use NeoOffice and have yet to have a compadibility issue. I LOVE NeoOffice =)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Office 2008 is slated to be released later this year, sometime around the Fall I believe. It will have an interface similar to that of Office 2007 and will be a Universal binary.

I personally don't like NeoOffice. It's slow and like you said, I don't feel "at home" when using it. I personally use Pages and Office 2004. Pages for class notes and Office for writing papers (merely for compatibility reasons).

Your Mac should have came with a Office 2004 demo. Try it out and see how you like it in comparison to NeoOffice. If you don't have it on your machine, download it here: Office 2004 Test Drive

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Thanks everyone

Kash - I couldnt find the demo on my laptop, So I'll give that download a go later today hopefully and see how i get on.

I beleive the 04' version runs under rosetta doesnt it?

I genuinly like the look of 07' on windoze, so I might just stick out with neo-office till they release the 08' mac version and then go with that

Thanks once again everyone!

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
JacobRogers

JacobRogers is on a distinguished road

I don't know about you guys but I found NeoOffice to be much more responsive than MS Office 2004. I also really prefer NeoOffice Spreadsheets look and feel over Excel. Impress has all the same features as Power Point but it doesn't have very many designs built in like PP does.

I haven't had any compatability issues with NeoOffice, quite the contrary. It's easier to share with my friend that uses Word Perfect 10, because I couldn't open them at all before I got NeoOffice. The word wrap is slightly different in NeoOffice than it is in Word Perfect, but it's a lot better than AbiWord.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I have used every version of Office for Mac, and must say Office is not a bad product. I find myself using Mellel more and more for word processing. For compatibility reasons between my office XP box, and my Macs, I use word a lot. When the new Office comes out, I will likely just buy Word, as I don't use the other programs. Keynote is clearly better than PowerPoint, Entourage is useless, and perhaps I check out NeoOffice for spreadsheet needs.
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

I will only buy Microsoft Office if I really really need it.

I may buy Office 2008, works beter on the Intel Mac's. Hopefully a better product.

I will try a testdrive first...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Note taking apps? | Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Pricing »