New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Screw Toast 8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

$100???? $80 was a bit of a stretch for me, I was almost willing to go for it, but I realized that's after a $20 rebate for competitor upgrade (from their own products, go figure).

Sorry, there's got to be another way to crunch 9GB DVD content pulled via MacTheRipper down to 4.5GB. There's a Windows app called DVDShrink that does a great job, and it's totally free. Surely there must be something that will do this, then I can just use Disco to burn.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-231000-T.../dp/B000LP6JKY

http://www.buy.com/prod/toast-8-tita...203869000.html

You can get it for 80 there

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
$100???? $80 was a bit of a stretch for me, I was almost willing to go for it, but I realized that's after a $20 rebate for competitor upgrade (from their own products, go figure).

Sorry, there's got to be another way to crunch 9GB DVD content pulled via MacTheRipper down to 4.5GB. There's a Windows app called DVDShrink that does a great job, and it's totally free. Surely there must be something that will do this, then I can just use Disco to burn.
DVD2One, works beautifully, and its cheap! Its a shrinker & burner.

Although trust me, Toast really is great.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Nevermind, I found Toast 8 for under $40. I'm good. (and no, it's not illegal)
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

You really may want to consider DVD2One to burn. If money isnt an option I would get them both, you can never know when something wont work right! =)
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
Toast 8 is great but not always fully compatiable with what you may or may not want to burn.
Wow, really? Like what, for example?
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

For me it encodes AVIs really slow, like dead slow. I use DVD2one much more than toast.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Have you loking to see if anyone is selling Toast 7? You could probably get that fairly cheap. Toast 8 doesnt have a whole new, at least not that I know of.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
Have you loking to see if anyone is selling Toast 7? You could probably get that fairly cheap. Toast 8 doesnt have a whole new, at least not that I know of.
I know they make a big deal that it has blu-ray support.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

But how many people actually have a blu-ray burner? I think that "feature" is a little overrated a bit too soon.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
But how many people actually have a blu-ray burner? I think that "feature" is a little overrated a bit too soon.
I agree entirely. I dont even want to know how much a blank blu-ray disc is.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

So, ok.. yeah. I was wrong. I got my $45 copy of Toast 8 in the mail today (from eBay). I believe it's an illegit copy. Bummer I figured it was someone selling an OEM version of it, hence the disc only in an envelope w/ the serial #. But.. the printing quality on the CD looks weird. Like a bad printout of a bad scan. The "Mac" and "Universal" logos are kinda fuzzy, and on the right side, the copyright text is very hard to read. And it's not a label stuck on there either, I dont' know how they made this disc. If it weren't for the crappy print quality, and the burn line on the bottom of the disc (you can see where the data ends), I would think this is legit.

On a positive note, I called Roxio to report this. They said talk to eBay, BUT Roxio sold me Toast 8 at the upgrade price. Very cool.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quote:
On a positive note, I called Roxio to report this. They said talk to eBay, BUT Roxio sold me Toast 8 at the upgrade price. Very cool.
You are getting a reputation point from me for your attitude!

You are a good man! Take care.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quote:
You are getting a reputation point from me for your attitude!

You are a good man! Take care.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Guys, now I'm having second thoughts. I mean, I don't want to outright blame this person YET. What I need to do is, compare the copy of Toast Roxio sent me with the copy I got from eBay. But who knows when my copy will arrive.

If someone could do me a favor and (with a good camera), take a clear, close-up shot of the "Mac" and "Universal" logos on their Toast 8 disc.. that will tell me what I need to know. On my disc, those logos are a little fuzzy, and the copyright text is fuzzy as well.

I just don't like to accuse people without being 100% positive. And I can't be totally positive until I can compare discs..and I'm too anxious to wait for my own copy to arrive. Besides, there's an eBay & PayPal dispute open on this and I need to act quickly.

Any help would be appreciated. PM me.

On a positive note.. Toast rocks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook battery cycle counter | Flip4Mac problem »