New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox Bookmarks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Colin Key

Colin Key is on a distinguished road

I use Firefox on both my Sony Vaio PC and my new iMac. On the PC, when I bookmark a website it is saved in a list which appears in alphabetical order. This is not the case with my iMac and the longer my list of bookmarked sites becomes, the more difficult it is find what I want. There seems to be no way of rearranging the order in "Manage Bookmarks". There might well be a simple answer to this, but I can't see it and it is becoming a little "irksome".

Colin

P.S. After a difficult start I am now absolutely loving the iMac and reckon that my four year old Vaio is due for an "early grave" in favour of a MB Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

I think you can sort them in 'view' under organize bookmarks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

Colin, I use Firefox as well... there's a plug-in called Foxmarks (google it), and it keeps my browsers synced on all my computers (PC and macs). Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Key View Post
On the PC, when I bookmark a website it is saved in a list which appears in alphabetical order. This is not the case with my iMac and the longer my list of bookmarked sites becomes, the more difficult it is find what I want.
Trying to sort Mozilla's bookmarks on a Mac has been goofy since the Year 1. I long ago gave up way before OS X.

I leave the setting on Unsorted and keep the bookmarks in alphabetical order myself. Otherwise, stand-alone websites get lost between folders of websites, and alphabetical order is meaningless.

To keep the list of bookmarks manageable, I've divided them into four folders: A F, G L, M R, and S Z. I may have used another browser to get them in alphabetical order the first time, then imported them. But it was at eight or 10 years ago, so I can't remember (I started with A M and N Z).
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

What's the problem?

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks

The bookmarks on the right pane you organize by moving them around in the list. (click on the containing folder on the left to see them)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The standalone bookmarks, those not in folders, don't show up in the left pane. They do in the sidebar, but the sidebar version is as screwed up as the drop-downs.
QUOTE Thanks
Colin Key

Colin Key is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses. This is certainly not an intuitive procedure. If I go to "Bookmarks" > "Organise Bookmarks" and click "Name" in right-hand pane then the folders appear in alphabetical order in both left and right panes. On closing "Organise Bookmarks" and then selecting "Bookmarks" from the Firefox menu bar the folders still appear in random order. Is there no way of retaining alphabetical order in the drop-down "Bookmarks"?

Colin
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

OH I see...

The contents of the highlighted item on the left are shown on the right - regardless if you expand that container on the left. So it is possible to see the same items in the left and right pane at the same time.

Click the title of the column until the arrow disappears. Then you'll have an un sorted list. Arrange your items as you wish. That is how they'll appear in the menus. There is no automatic sorting option.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
The standalone bookmarks, those not in folders, don't show up in the left pane. They do in the sidebar, but the sidebar version is as screwed up as the drop-downs.
The left pane is for containers, not bookmarks. click on the top level item "Bookmarks" to see those standalone bookmarks.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« German CocoaWget available | explain front row sharing plez »