New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Alternative to .Mac backup, mainly for iPhoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I've always had .Mac because I worked at Apple. I love it really for Backup, since I can tell it to backup iPhoto and it keeps all the albums and such in their correct format. I don't work there anymore and so my account has expired and I'm not paying $149cad for a new account just for backup.

I'm just wondering if there's any other Backup programs, preferably free that would backup my iPhoto in the same way. I believe I can just copy the whole iPhoto Library as well and it will work but just wanted to check. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

What about DVD backups? You just need to backup the entire iPhoto Library folder.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemoreau View Post
Hey everyone,

I've always had .Mac because I worked at Apple. I love it really for Backup, since I can tell it to backup iPhoto and it keeps all the albums and such in their correct format. I don't work there anymore and so my account has expired and I'm not paying $149cad for a new account just for backup.

I'm just wondering if there's any other Backup programs, preferably free that would backup my iPhoto in the same way. I believe I can just copy the whole iPhoto Library as well and it will work but just wanted to check. Thanks!
I'm not familiar with a free program that addresses the specific need to backup a single folder in the manner you describe, but why not just backup your entire system? Hard drive failures are becoming increasing common these days. I highly recommend that you consider buying an external hard drive and then using a utility like SuperDuper to do periodic backups. If you store anything of value on your system like photos, you won't regret it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

I can recommend www.mozy.com ... it's free if you're storing less than 2GB and pretty cheap above that as well. They have a Mac client in testing at the moment (I've got the beta installed and it works great). It backs up the files you want to their server, encoded with an optional encryption key (if you're concerned).

It runs invisibly behind the scenes and whenever the file has changed it gets backed up when the computer has some idle time. It's amazingly easy to use and takes a load off my mind.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If your primary concern is your photos I would recommend a FlickrPro account. www.flickr.com

$25/yr gives you unlimited bandwidth and storage. Just drop the pictures you want onto the FlickrUploadr (http://www.flickr.com/tools/) and it will upload them onto the site which is also very convenient for browsing and organizing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmullins/ is my site)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

I just couldn't remember if backing up the iPhoto library and dropping it back if that would go back to the way it was. .Mac backup makes it easy which is why I was checking but I'll try that. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari, Mozilla, or the New Shiira browser? | Anyone try it yet? »