New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Front Row duplicating movies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Crimsoneva

Crimsoneva is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

Just got a nice new shiny 20" iMac and am loving it. Just wish I had made the switch sooner.

Being a newb to Macs I am having a bit of a problem w/ Front Row. When I load Front Row and go to browse my movies it shows 2 copies of every movie. It also lists all my TV shows under movies as well as under the TV Shows menu. I am not sure what I did wrong.

I think that it get the info from my iTunes library but I am not sure since iTunes only shows one copy of each. Any idea how to get it to show the correct number of movies and to show my TV shows only under the TV shows menu?

Also in case this helps. Some of the files listed have the mp4 extension while others do not. Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry if this has been posted before and I missed it.

~Crimson Eva
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Do you have a copy of these movies in both your iTunes library and in your Movies folder? If so, that's why Front Row shows each one twice.
QUOTE Thanks
Crimsoneva

Yes, I have the movies and tv shows in the movies folder. I then told iTunes to add that folder to it's library. So would the best option be to remove the double listings? Thank you.

EDIT: Consolidated my iTunes library and deleted the files in the movie folder. Everything works now. So my new question is, is there anyway to have the files in the movie folder and show in iTunes without having duplicates show in Front Row? Basically I want to be able to open the movies folder and see my movies, open iTunes and click movies to see them, or open Front Row and see them there but not have duplicates. Same goes for music. I like to keep things organized and having my movies in movies folder and music in the music folder is the setup I am looking for. Is this possible? Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

I know of no way that you can store movies in both iTunes and the Movies folder without having duplicates in Front Row. Anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
Crimsoneva

Ok, I figured out how to do what I was trying to do. There is an option in iTunes that tells iTunes to copy files to the library when added. I unchecked that option so now when I tell it to look in a folder for files it adds them to the listing in iTunes but does not add it to the library folder. Now I can place media in any folder I want and it will only show one copy in Front Row and I only have one copy on my computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sunrise 1.0 Released! Fast, Fast, Fast Browser | C++ Compiler and Decompressor »