New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Save as and attach file problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rew70

rew70 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5

I'm new to the forum and hope I am in the right place. If not, please forgive and point me in the right direction.

Running PPC G5 with Adobe Creative Suite and MS Office. Just the other day I started having a problem with saving files and attaching files. When in a program like Illustrator, I go to save a file and pick the folder (MAC HD/MacFiles/Artwork/Filename.eps. When I reopen that file and make changes and go to "save as", I am returned to MacFiles instead of Artwork.

In the dialog box, it always takes me back to the preceeding folder instead of the actual folder needed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe software and that makes no difference. Similar peroblem when attaching files through Entourage, instead of taking me to the last folder I was in, I am directed to Users/myname/Documents every time.

Sorry so long. Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Do I really need to run a clean sweep on the G5 and start from scratch?

Thanks,
Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

This isn't an OS or Program issue. Its a setting somewhere... and I can't remember where it is. I'll try to recall for you though...

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
rew70

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
This isn't an OS or Program issue. Its a setting somewhere... and I can't remember where it is. I'll try to recall for you though...
Oh that would be amazing. Please let me know what this is, it's driving me nuts.

Thanks,
Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you might need to delete your preferences or caches for the application that is giving you a problem...but im not completely sure if that will help

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
rew70

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
you might need to delete your preferences or caches for the application that is giving you a problem...but im not completely sure if that will help

-chris
Yeah I tried that first thing and no help. It's got to be a setting, but I can't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

For starters, create a new user account and report back if the problem persists. You could also download a maintenance app like OnyX and give your system a spring clean.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I think it might just be the way the progam works. Because in photoshop, if I save a file to the desktop, then throw that file in the trash... create a new photoshop document and save the new one, photoshop will think you want to save this new file in the same place as the old file. IN THE TRASH! haha. Apparently photoshop thinks I'm not that great an artist because it wants to store my files directly into the trash =)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
rew70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
For starters, create a new user account and report back if the problem persists. You could also download a maintenance app like OnyX and give your system a spring clean.
I created a test account and the problem is not present when doing that. This leads me to believe it's a network problem and have contacted IT about it. I only experienced the issue when connected through the test account. when not connected it performed as I wanted it to.

Anything I can do on my end?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rew70

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
I think it might just be the way the progam works. Because in photoshop, if I save a file to the desktop, then throw that file in the trash... create a new photoshop document and save the new one, photoshop will think you want to save this new file in the same place as the old file. IN THE TRASH! haha. Apparently photoshop thinks I'm not that great an artist because it wants to store my files directly into the trash =)
Well that's just it. I want it to take me back to the last place I was and right now it's not doing that, it's taking me one step before where I was. I think it's a network issue, but I would like to try and fix this a bit quicker.

The IT guy is not MAC literate and I seem to do all the troubleshooting anyway. Thoughts?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail- from panther to tiger | what is Sherlock for? »