New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

what is Sherlock for?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

Could someone please help me with this? I can't figure out what the heck it's for...
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I never use it but it's pre-installed on Macs .... you can search for a specific item on eBay, for flight details, AppleCare Knowledge Base Documents, the internet etc.

Quote:
Sherlock was introduced in Mac OS 8.5 as a tool for searching the contents of your computer as well as the Internet. It allowed for flexible searching of file names, types, and even contents. In Mac OS X 10.2, its generic searching capabilities were reintegrated into the Finder, and Sherlock itself became a tool for querying specific types of data online. For example, you can keep track of stocks or find out what movies are playing at nearby cinemas. Other channels include phone book, translator, dictionary, and eBay tracker. For more information, consult Mac Help for information specific to the version of Sherlock installed on your system.
Quote:
SHERLOCK TERMS OF USE

PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW, AS THEY GOVERN YOUR USE OF SHERLOCK. BY USING SHERLOCK, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW.

1. Use Of Content:

Sherlock displays a variety of information including, but not limited to, text, audio, images, financial and investment data, flight data, photographs, news articles, video clips, and graphics (collectively "Content"). You may use Content displayed within Sherlock solely for personal, noncommercial purposes. Unless otherwise expressly agreed to by the party supplying the Content, commercial use of Content displayed within Sherlock is strictly prohibited. Certain Content displayed within Sherlock may be protected by copyright or other proprietary right. Before using such Content, you should obtain the written permission of the copyright owner.

2. Third-Party Content: ?The Content displayed within Sherlock comes from a variety of sources. Much of the Content comes from third parties that are not affiliated with Apple. Apple does not author, edit, or monitor Content provided by third parties. You acknowledge and agree that Apple, its officers, affiliates and subsidiaries shall not, directly or indirectly, be liable, in any way, to you or any other person for the Content you receive using Sherlock or for any inaccuracies, errors in or omissions from the Content. You acknowledge and agree that Apple shall have no responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, availability or appropriateness of Content provided by third parties. You also acknowledge and agree that your use of Content provided by a third party is subject to the terms of use of the third party providing that Content. Although not all-inclusive, below are links to the terms of use of some third party Content providers.
About.com, Ask Jeeves, Dictionary.com, eBay, Getty Images, LookSmart, Lycos, Moviefone, Overture, Switchboard, Systran

3. Links Within Sherlock: ?Sherlock contains links to third-party web sites. You acknowledge and agree that Apple has no responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, or availability of information located on linked web sites. Links to third-party web sites do not constitute an endorsement by Apple of such sites or the information, products, advertising or other materials presented on such sites. Apple is not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the linked web sites you visit.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

here you go bro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(software)

idk what the deal is, but for that url to work you have to add a right parenthesis on the end of the address bar.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've never used it on OSX, but it was pretty cool when it first showed up in 8.5.

QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

thanks. It seems like one of those apps that just dissapears after a while becasue of updates (improved Finder, Spotlight...)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.spiro View Post
thanks. It seems like one of those apps that just dissapears after a while becasue of updates (improved Finder, Spotlight...)
Bingo.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

It is pretty handy for the airline flights thing and probably other specialized searches - I just recently put it to good use for the aforementioned airline feature.
"Specialized Google in a box" perhaps?
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it. Thanks! Used it twice already - nice app. I had been using shopzilla.com but think I will try this instead.
QUOTE Thanks

1234321 is on a distinguished road

I like to search eBay on it, works pretty well I think....good enough to put on my dock.

Whitebook 2.0 ghz C2D, 1.5GB Ram, 160GB HD
Samsung SyncMaster 941BW 19"
Wireless Mighty Mouse
4GB iPod Nano Silver
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

Is there any way to change the channels? ie for eBay to change to eBa UK? I'm warming to it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Save as and attach file problems | Software Transfering? »