New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PC vs MAC Gaming performance question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nextjin

nextjin is on a distinguished road

I need ya'lls insight.

Buddy of asked me to post on two forums (PC and Mac forums) this question.

"A game was made specifically for the PC, then made specifically (not ported) for a Mac and BOTH Computers had the exact same hardware. Which computer would run the game faster"

I mentioned there are all sorts of issues that would come up from driver quality etc. but whatever I'm posting to see what the comments will be. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

its apples and oranges. there are too many variables in my opinion.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I'd have to say it'd be too close to call... unless, of course, the PC had a virus.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

So would the results be equally as viable if we were talking about Tetris as if we were talking about Far Cry?

QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
So would the results be equally as viable if we were talking about Tetris as if we were talking about Far Cry?
No, because tetris is best when played on my cell phone. I love cell phone tetris, it's a great thing to do at work when you're bored.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i prefer cell phone boggle

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I've gamed on both.. My iBook can play Halo rather well.. Although I have a 6800 GT in my PC, so it's obviously better.

However, my Xbox 360 either meets or exceeds the graphics of my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i'm also wondering something. all things being equal, do you think that flamebait causes more disruption on a mac forum or a windows forum?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Any Mac forum other than this I would say Mac Forums...

QUOTE Thanks
eric

than it looks like this guy chose the wrong place.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextjin View Post
"A game was made specifically for the PC, then made specifically (not ported) for a Mac and BOTH Computers had the exact same hardware. Which computer would run the game faster"
If by 'PC' you mean Windows, then there is no comparison. You pointed out that the hardware is equal, and you would need Windows to run the game no matter what. There should be no question here, so I don't really understand what you are asking.
If one would install Windows on the Mac via Boot Camp, then the game would run just the same as a similarly configured Windows (non-Mac) machine.
You would be running the game on the same hardware, under the same OS.
If you were thinking of running the game on a Mac without Windows installed, then sure, the game wouldn't run at all since you also pointed out that the game was "specifically for the PC (Windows)".

:confused:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

he said, made specifically for "PC" and then made specifically for mac. not made for pc and then running on a mac.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
he said, made specifically for "PC" and then made specifically for mac. not made for pc and then running on a mac.
Right-O. Missed that the first time around reading it.
Still, it really wouldn't change the outcome.
If the game's specs call for certain hardware and both machines have it, then the game would run equally well on both machines.
The point is still moot.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

There could be issues with how the OS handles certain processes that could cause some issues....

QUOTE Thanks
eric

right DB.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Arrrgh Microsoft Word | Open Office - Setting as Default »