New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

IPhoto 6.06 “quit unexpectantly” problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dwells

Dwells is on a distinguished road

IPhoto 6.06 “quit unexpectantly” problem

Running OS 10.4.9
I dragged some jpegs into iphoto for import
The jpegs were dated 2002 and named tom001.jpg etc.
While importing they caused iphoto to unexpectantly quit
When iPhoto is relaunched it begins to load photos and quits after 15 seconds
Seems like it may still be trying to import
I have deleted out of the library (thumbnails and originals) the photos that were imported
I have tried rebuilding the database but iPhoto continues to quit
I have rebuilt the thumbnails (long and short version)
I have used disk utility to repair disk permissions
I have tried all of the below from this apple support link

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947

HELP

Thanks in advance D Wells
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi Dwells and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Have you tried trashing the pref file and restarting?

The path to the file is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Just drag that plist file into your trash, don't empty it right away. Restart an try launching iPhoto again and see what happens. Report back with your findings, please.

Good luck! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Trashed file (not emptied), restarted computer, relaunch iphoto, started up as if opening the app for the first time and then quit.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok does this behaviour happen only with one photo or many others?

It could be a corrupted .jpg file, is what I'm thinking.
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Upon launch I see a photo that was not imported always the same photo.

I trashed the imported photos in the library diring the import of these hotos is when the problem started.
The photo I see breifly on launch is from a camera download a week ago. the problem started yesterday when I dragged from a folder old photos to add to the library.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok do this: create a new user account. log in to that new account, re-import the photos from scratch in that new account and see if iPhoto is more stable in that account than in your old one.
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Have done so
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Imported 20 photos from library as I have a (complete) experiment library on external hardrive. Did not have access to photos that originally caused the problem as they are under reqular user name on internal drive. iphoto behaves fine after import. will transfer old photos to external and import (photos that caused problem.)
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

I now have imported suspect photos into the alternative user. I have imported the photos that have caused the problem. Works great. Able to close and open iphoto. What next. Very much appreciate your help!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok now go back to your old account. Download MainMenu, install it and run the Cleaning -> Clean User Cache -> User Cache... task.

And you'll want to run the Cleaning -> Clean System Cache -> Deep Clean... task as well. For good measure, drag the iPhoto plist file back to the trash again (it has recreated itself, you'll see).

Restart (don't worry if you find the restart is longer than usual — the system is only rebuilding its cache files from scratch, that's why it's longer than normal). Log into your old account and try using iPhoto again. See if it is fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Doing it now thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok let us know if this works now...

Up to now, we now know the problem lies with your old account only, not all across the system. I hope it's something that is corrupted in your user cache or the part of the system that interacts with your old user account. MainMenu will clean the corrupted parts away and you should be ok from now on if this is the case.
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

trying now!
QUOTE Thanks
Dwells

Went back to original library (internal power book drive). Opened iphoto. Worked well. Roll numbers were not there. Quit and put back old preferences file from trash the preferences folder. Reopened iphoto ask to rebuild thumbnails. Doing this now.
Will my roll names reappear? 25,000 photos in this crazy library. Great app. main menu. Wow. Will report back on result. Any thoughts on photo program that is more robust. Maybe aperture?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I don't like iPhoto at all (easy to duplicate files all over and it's limited in its usage) so never use myself. I just use either Photoshop or Canon's Digital Photo Professional to tweak and convert my RAW files, edit them or whatever I need.

For viewing I use CocoViewX.

It all depends on what you need. Plenty of members here will tell you they like using GIMP, Seashore, ImageWell, etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWeb - need help with easy question | Good Free DVD Software? »