New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How Sims 2 is doing on my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tukewl4u720

tukewl4u720 is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd share since the matter is constantly discussed. I got the MacBook new last year, when I put the game in it had 20 gb available. Processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo. 512 MB 667 MHz memory.

Okay, the installation took about six minutes. I've been playing it for a week now, and the only slowdown I've noticed is the loading time (when it's moving from neighborhood to lot, and such). It sorta reminds me of when the first Sims game came out and I played it on my computer back then--slow, but not really (we're just spoiled now, I mean.) The graphics were automatically on 'low', but I didn't even know that for three days, and I was amazed from the start at the quality of them. The colors are bright and the Sims' movement is fluid. Every once in a while the music cuts for less than a second, but it doesn't affect the gameplay and it's rare enough that I barely notice. So, that's how it's doing--surprisingly well. My MacBook isn't that built-up (other than what automatically comes with it), and was pretty much the cheapest you could buy, and this game is doing great.

I'm the only one in my family with a Mac. sigh.
QUOTE Thanks
plusfortyfour

plusfortyfour is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD

That is good to hear. I was thinking of buying this game.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, really good to hear. should be fine on my 2.0Ghz core duo with 1Gb of ram.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

my wife is a sims 2 addict.. it works great on her 1.67ghz PB 1gb ram.. one down fall is the load times are pretty slow. I wonder if we bump her ram up another gig if it would help?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
aaaaliciaaaaa

aaaaliciaaaaa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 120 GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz Core2Duo, white MB

Question - are you running the mac version of Sims 2 as opposed to booting through BootCamp/Parallels)?

This has been my biggest concern with getting the MB (I'm thinking of switching PC->Mac), I've heard games don't do as well graphics-wise on the Mac. I'm not an intense gamer, I just have a few PC games (Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3) that I want to play through BootCamp. Considering my current computer won't even load RCT3 because the graphics card is so old (I made the mistake of buying it, not knowing what my GFX card specs were), and I can't even play the Sims 2 because it runs THAT slow (I'm talking a frame every couple seconds), I'm not overly concerned with it being perfect, and most likely I'll have the graphics quality on the lowest level, which is what I'm used to anyway.

So just hoping that if I make the PC->Mac jump, that my few games will work alright! But good to hear yours does!
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaliciaaaaa View Post
Question - are you running the mac version of Sims 2 as opposed to booting through BootCamp/Parallels)?

This has been my biggest concern with getting the MB (I'm thinking of switching PC->Mac), I've heard games don't do as well graphics-wise on the Mac. I'm not an intense gamer, I just have a few PC games (Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3) that I want to play through BootCamp. Considering my current computer won't even load RCT3 because the graphics card is so old (I made the mistake of buying it, not knowing what my GFX card specs were), and I can't even play the Sims 2 because it runs THAT slow (I'm talking a frame every couple seconds), I'm not overly concerned with it being perfect, and most likely I'll have the graphics quality on the lowest level, which is what I'm used to anyway.

So just hoping that if I make the PC->Mac jump, that my few games will work alright! But good to hear yours does!
This is not to put you off, but if you plan on doing all your gaming through Bootcamp(Windows) why not just get a new windows machine?
QUOTE Thanks
madgibbon

madgibbon is on a distinguished road

I disagree, I've just made the PC->Mac switch and couldn't be happier . I've installed XP via boot camp to play some of my old PC games, which run very well on my MacBook.

I use OSX for everything else as its superior to Windows. If games were easly obtainable and cheeper for OSX I would buy those instead and not bother with XP.

I would only recomend a PC to some who is a hardcore gamer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Office question | iphoto: original and modified »