changing master images in aperture and iphoto
    hi

am i right in thinking that there is no way of altering my original (master) images (located in my 'pictures' folder) in both aperture ans iphoto? I want to be able to see the changes in the original images in this folder, and have these altered images available for other applications, such as itunes. i don't want to have to export altered images from aperture/iphoto, but rather just have one copy of each image. will i need to use preview for basic changes or a third party application such as graphic converter/photoshop for more advanced permanent changes to the originals?

thanks

nick

Quote Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post
    hi

am i right in thinking that there is no way of altering my original (master) images (located in my 'pictures' folder) in both aperture ans iphoto? I want to be able to see the changes in the original images in this folder, and have these altered images available for other applications, such as itunes. i don't want to have to export altered images from aperture/iphoto, but rather just have one copy of each image. will i need to use preview for basic changes or a third party application such as graphic converter/photoshop for more advanced permanent changes to the originals?

thanks

nick
    Nick,

Are your working with RAW or jpeg/tiff?

RAW files are always left intact. Compressed files such as jpeg and tiff may be altered. If you have an image you want as a master work on a copy rather than the original to be safe. In Lightroom and the new PS CS3 you can work on a master and have the program save to a appended filename. Not sure about Aperture I'm only testing that program right now. I think lightroom is far better but they are meant for different work flows.

Not sure about Iphoto. I'm relatively new to mac and I don't use Iphoto that much. It doesn't have the capabilities I need for large volume photography.

Jeff

Thread Information