New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I split scans in iPhoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Hi. I gave my mom a bag full of photos and asked her to scan them for me so I can put them on my Mac (she's retired, so has more time than me).

What she did was to put several photos into the machine at the same time, so each scan has more than one photo on it.

My question is, what's the easiest way to split the scans so I can separate each photo and save it as an individual image file?

Thanks.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I doubt if it's possible in iPhoto maybe a graphics program would be better
Like this one http://www.lemkesoft.com/. This app was free with Mac at one time
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Well I can think of a less than elegant way of doing it - not sure what it would do for image quality or anything like that - but see what you think; When you view the scanned image in preview or whatever you are using to see the several images in each file, now use Command+Shift+4 - if you're not familiar with this key combo - it will change your mouse pointer to a cross-hair - you then drag the mouse over the part of the screen you want to capture (in this case you drag the mouse over each separate image from the scanned file) When you let go of the mouse the area of the screen you have just captured is saved automatically to your desktop as a .png file - you can then (rename if required) drag the captured images to iPhoto - job done.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Good tip ..a lot cheaper too
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Well I can think of a less than elegant way of doing it - not sure what it would do for image quality or anything like that - but see what you think; When you view the scanned image in preview or whatever you are using to see the several images in each file, now use Command+Shift+4 - if you're not familiar with this key combo - it will change your mouse pointer to a cross-hair - you then drag the mouse over the part of the screen you want to capture (in this case you drag the mouse over each separate image from the scanned file) When you let go of the mouse the area of the screen you have just captured is saved automatically to your desktop as a .png file - you can then (rename if required) drag the captured images to iPhoto - job done.
Nice one, thanks. I'll give it a go...

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Hi Martin!

(I've *got* to check out your website tonight after work. It looks *very* cool! Congrats on being published.)

If you are at all Unix compatible, there's a great tool called the Gimp - Gnu Image Manipulation Program. It is very powerful, and it is free. You can crop, cut-n-paste, and save in practically any format you like. I discovered it from Linux, and I use it regularly on my Mac.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...e/gimpapp.html

To use this you must have X11 (or XDarwin) installed. X11 can be found on your OS X installation DVD, as it typically is not normally installed. (Most people don't need it.)

Hope you find something that works for you!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
whoah whoah, hang on there. That way will give you photos appropriate for screen previews, and screen previews only. If it's a photo scanned at 300ppi(dpi) you will be losing a vast amount of detail.

There's a better way in Preview.
You can crop images in Preview. Go to Tools>Select Tool. Make a selection, and you can then choose to crop it (from tools) Then choose save as and select a new filename. The advantage to doing this - it will keep the true dimensions of the photo, and will give you more accuracy. Taking a screenshot won't allow you adjust the window dimensions. Once you release the click, the photo is taken. Cropping allows you to fine-tune the cropping window accurately.

The downside to this, is that you'll then need to reopen the original file to save out the next photo.

Alternatively, from the selection tool, you can choose File>New from Selection. This will create a brand new file to be named, leaving the original open, and ready for another selection to be made. Simple

QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

Thanks for the replies. I think the last suggestion works best for me, as it saves the files as JPEGs rather than PNGs.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NTSF External Harddrve question | mail messages »