New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Onyx VS Main Menu

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I thought this may be helpful, as I cant seem to find a detailed one, and we'll get a survey of what everyone is using & thinks.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i use onyx, mainly because it's the one i found first.

from what i hear it's got more little config options, but can also be more dangerous for inexperienced tinkerers.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i use onyx, mainly because it's the one i found first.

from what i hear it's got more little config options, but can also be more dangerous for inexperienced tinkerers.
Per-xactly! I'm an OnyX guy for the same reason as Eric.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I started off by using OnyX, then I heard about MainMenu and found it more handy as it resides in the menubar. There are a few things OnyX has that MainMenu doesn't (Unix scripting) but I never use them anyway. So for me it's MainMenu although I have both on my hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I started off by using OnyX, then I heard about MainMenu and found it more handy as it resides in the menubar. There are a few things OnyX has that MainMenu doesn't (Unix scripting) but I never use them anyway. So for me it's MainMenu although I have both on my hard drive.
You traitor MHC. You got me using OnyX and now you've defected.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes mister. I left the fold. :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Neither.

I use Cocktail.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
Neither.

I use Cocktail.
I saw that on Mac Update, it costs $$ though. =(
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I use mainmenu, but only because that's the 1st I tried and it has worked flawlessly so far.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

From a quick look at the MainMenu web site, it looks like OnyX does much, much more. MainMenu appears to be focused on the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts. OnyX does this plus TONS of more stuff. That is why I have stuck with OnyX (...and it seems to work for me quite nicely).

MHC, am I missing functionality that MainMenu has?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I'll see how much attachments I can fit in one post...

The first screen grab is MainMenu's interface. At the top you can see that it can do batch tasks. Second item in that same screengrab is the maintenance tasks we all know and love...

Second screengrab is the disk utility scripts...

Third is the rebuilding scripts...

Fourth screengrab is the various cleaning scripts...

Fifth screengrab is actions for the Finder...

Sixth is the rest of the tasks.

Hope this answers your questions and helps. Like I said, OnyX has more stuff like Unix scripts that I don't use anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MainMenu1.jpg (53.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MainMenu2.jpg (61.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MainMenu3.jpg (45.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MainMenu4.jpg (46.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg MainMenu5.jpg (36.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MainMenu6.jpg (63.1 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Great stuff MHC, thanks! Now I see why you are such a fan. Their web site doesn't do their product justice. I will have to try this myself.

It was no doubt a lot of work to take all those screen shots and attach to a post. You are a real gem MHC. Thanks so much. I would give you more rep, but as seems to be happening way too often these days, it won't let me - says I have to spread more around. Sigh...

Meantime, thanks again!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Thanks mac57! *Blush*

See where you launch the app? It sits in the menubar! I love the convenience! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

...and thanks AGAIN! No, I hadn't noticed that it sits in the Menu bar. That *is* excellent, and so convenient. Obvious of course, with a name like MainMenu! Dohhh.... I must have taken TWO stupid pills this morning instead of my usual one!! :dive:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playing MPGs in Firefox - Recommended Approach? | DVD encription »