New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

An applescript to automagically mark message as "junk"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

While trying to help someone over on another mac forum (because nobody else was offering anything useful to the topic originator) , I wrote my first useful Applescript (up until now, I'd modified existing scripts or done VERY basic things with it) and thought others here might find it of use.
What he was looking for:
Quote:
"I have severals rules that detect Junk messages which are not caught by Mail.app built-in Junk filter. My rules move this to the Junk folder. However, Mail doesn't mark them as Junk (obviously, since I haven't found a way to tell Mail -> "Mark this as Junk"). This means I have to go to my Junk mailbox, and manually mark all these messages as Junk.

Any ideas on how to avoid doing this manually and tell Mail to mark something as Junk?

Thanks!
What I came up with:
Code:
tell application "Mail" to activate
tell application "System Events"
	keystroke "j" using {command down, shift down}

end tell
After your 'junk' rule criteria are met, this script will automagically "press" command-shift j - the Mail.app shortcut for selecting an item as junk mail.
Feel free to modify it, expand on it, etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Skype button for my mail signature | Mac getting older (poor thing) »