New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help extracting an iso

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

Ok today is D-day so to speak I am going to install linux on my PS3, or unbuntu as it seems to be the best. I am hoping for OS X but nothing yet.

Anyway, on the ubuntu forums there is a guide and it says:

"Extract the ADDON CD iso to the root of your thumb drive using 7zip or similar program. Make sure that you extract the iso so that the contents of the “CELL-Linux-CL_20061110-ADDON” folder are in the root of the USB drive.
Here is a link to a program that will help you if you cannot extract an iso
http://www.7-zip.org/
(note that there are some helpful documents in the /doc folder)"

I mean I have experience (some) in linux and iso. But to me this means rip it form a disc. But the file is downloadable.

My question is, what does it mean I seem to be getting confused with the wording. And is there a similar program for OS X?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343113
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Since you have a complete "recipe" for doing this on Ubuntu, wouldn't it be safer (and faster) to do it there? Perhaps you don't have access to Ubuntu and you are asking if similar things can be done on Mac OS X?

There do appear to be 7-Zip unpackers for Mac. See the following link:

http://www.pure-mac.com/compen.html

Hope it helps!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
tandaina

tandaina is on a distinguished road

This has nothing to do with a CD.

7Zip is a compression format/program. The ISO has been compressed in that format. You will need to use 7Zip or something else that understands that compression format to extract it. (I don't think Winzip will work but Winrar will. No clue if either come in a Mac flavor).

Then you need to copy the ISO to the root area of your USB stick. (you know, the / area?) An ISO is just a disk image. Treat the USB stick like you were burning the ISO to CD.

If you don't know much about Linux I'm not sure I'd try setting it up on a rather expensive piece of proprietary hardware.

Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. - Terry Pratchett
http://snowonroses.blogspot.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage error message | OSX Logging Software? »