New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What could cause Safari to do this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Every other browser can render Google Personalized home correctly, except Safari like to position the search box over to the left? It used to work...

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Try emptying caches and then resetting Safari. Go to the Safari menu in the top left.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Not all browsers are at an equal level of compliance with all the web standards. Could it be that this is one that Safari just isn't rendering properly?

See this link for some illuminating reading: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2

It does look, from my testing, that Safari passes the Acid2 test, the most rigorous compliance test I am aware of. Still, there may be holes yet...

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Actually I ran into another problem w/ Safari and the Google Personalized Home. One of my gadgets (as they call them), "Google Reader (Labs)", doesn't work quiet right. Usually the title for a gadget is a link, and this one is no exception. The link doesn't work in Safari, but works just fine with Firefox. Go figure. My guess is that the new Google themes are just a tad buggy. You might write Google.

Oh, and lest you think this is something just with Macs, I found a problem the other day with Google Personalized Home using Linux and Firefox, an annoyance really, but given that Google runs on Linux, it's almost unconsionable.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I find that the usual safari problems have to do with CSS and JavaScript. I bet the centering is being done with css or js, and that safari is wiggin out on it.

See attached. The style of that div is text-align:center. even the table has align=center as a table attribute. But look at the style for div id "doc3" and it is text-align:left. So it may be that safari is honoring the wrapper div style instead. DOH!

All they had to do is wrap the table in a <center> tag. It works, but... welcome to 1998. Thanks again Safari.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (236.8 KB, 13 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

As I've mentioned in several other posts, the problem is that
a) Safari is based on KDE's KHTML rendering engine
b) Safari is SORELY outdated compared to the current Webkit build
c) Try the nightly build, see if it makes a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link voiceofra.

What is this nightly build? I downloaded it and launched it (the icon suggests it is Safari) but it just crashes. Is this some form of build of Safari with the latest and greatest rendering engine from KDE?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
[URL="http://webkit.org/"]
Thanks, that cleared up my issue with Google Personalize home and Google Reader.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Thanks for the link voiceofra.

What is this nightly build? I downloaded it and launched it (the icon suggests it is Safari) but it just crashes. Is this some form of build of Safari with the latest and greatest rendering engine from KDE?
A 'nightly build' is just the latest and (sometimes) greatest code compiled in to a working app.
Builds aren't always stable, but you can always get the previous build or get the next nightly...or stick with the Safari that Apple provides.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
Thanks, that cleared up my issue with Google Personalize home and Google Reader.
Coolness. I wish Saft would work with the nightlies. One gets used to having it's functionality.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

It may not matter to end users, but I couldn't use a nightly build. I have to use the mainstream apps. Because it's what most people are using. I need to see what everyone is seeing - including bugs.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

So the nightly build should be a fully functional Safari executable? If the one I tried crashed, I should just try another one? Since it crashed, I had no idea whether it was the full app or just a framework portion of it.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Did you properly drag the Webkit.app file into your Apps folder (or anywhere not in the disk image, really) before running it?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

No I did not! I am used to trying apps first from the dmg before "installing" them. Does this one NEED to be installed before it will run correctly?

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

voiceofra, I know that you frequently get cut if you try to live on the bleeding edge, and I am guessing I have a little incision from my attempts at the nightly build. Since my failed attempt to run it, Safari no longer shows the nice little icons next to items in my bookmark list. They are all little blue globes now, and no matter how often I visit a site, they stay little blue globes. Is there a way to change this back?

By the way, I downloaded todays build, installed it into Applications properly and tried it again. It still crashed. It offered me the chance to retry the launch and I took it. The second time it comes up and stays up. Each time I start it, I have to go through the initial crash before it will stay. So, it is of limited value for now, unless it has installed some base components elsewhere in the system...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will IE work?? | Delete a Bookmark in Safari »