New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Transparent To Do List for Desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nef

nef is on a distinguished road

Hi is there any type of to do list which can stay transparent and look good on the desktop? I saw peoples desktops and they had "Geek Pub" which blended with the background and displayed rss feeds. So just looking for something that will remind me of what I need to do in the background on the desktop.
Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

a real low tech way of doing this would be to just title text documents with your to-do list items and then set the desktop display to have file names to the right of the icon and make the icons small. then you could even make notes about those items in the text docs.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Dnotes has plenty of options including transparency ~ From Jan 2004 but works fine with Tiger 4.9. (FreeWare)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21943

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I use stickies and have them load at login. I minimise them and you can partially see what each stickie refers to.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

It isn't transparent but neatly tucks under the side of your screen of your choice. It's Pierre Chatel's Sidenote. I have been using it for about 18 months and I find it quite useful.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

You can either use stickies as Pulse-8 suggests and set the note to translucent (and maybe floating) or use text documents as eric suggests. I kind of use both. If I'm in the middle of something and have to leave my desk for a few minutes I leave a sticky to remind me what I'm doing when I get back.

For longer-term stuff or just reminders, I have a Quicksilver trigger (F2) that prepends text to a document called, um, "To-Do". I made an automator workflow saved as an iCal plugin that opens the To-Do documents at 9.25am every day to remind me what's on the list.

(For some things I just use a pencil and a piece of paper...)

For what it's worth I tried Sidenote and didn't get on with it; it just seemed to complicated for what I wanted to do, but it might be worth a go. Beware, though – it's not that simple to uninstall should you decide you don't like it.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Doh! Just noticed you can set in Sidenote's preferences the transparency!

MartinS, did you manually try to uninstall Sidenote or did you use AppZapper?

I have installed Sidenote long a go and cannot for the life of me remember if it comes with its own uninstaller or not.

Not that I want to uninstall it (have been using it well over a year and love it: it's part of my most useful apps), but only to clarify for those who are wondering about the uninstall process you pointed out in your post.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

I tried it not so long ago. I think I had to open activity monitor and stop it that way, then delete it. I think. I had to google for a while to find the answer, anyway.

No doubt a lot of people will like it, it just didn't fit in with the way I work, that's all. I don't like lots of little poppy-outey things on my desktop, either.

If I'm gathering notes I'll either type into a TextEdit file and/or drag text across, then copy it all into Scrivener where I knock it into shape.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You couldn't make Sidenote quit in the scroll-down it has? That's odd. I launch it then quit it whenever I don't need it running anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Here is the screenshot for the quit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sidenote.jpg (53.8 KB, 15 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

You can quit it, but try uninstalling it (not that you want to, but...)

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I'd be curious to see what AppZapper would do with the uninstall...

But I'm not gonna try it. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
GringoBoy87

GringoBoy87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBite View Post
I use stickies and have them load at login. I minimise them and you can partially see what each stickie refers to.
How do you get the Stickies app to load when you first start your Mac?

Pride, Strength, Wisdom
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Check out this app, Anxiety. http://anxietyapp.com

It syncs with iCal, plus you can add your own todo's to it. Takes up little space in it's small little floating window. Sort of transparent I guess...
QUOTE Thanks
GringoBoy87

GringoBoy87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoBoy87 View Post
How do you get the Stickies app to load when you first start your Mac?
Nevermind I figured it out

Pride, Strength, Wisdom
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« About VLC(app) bugs(help!) | Burning Dual-Layer DVDs »