New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Reccomend/Help Me Set Up Software On My New Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Two more weeks until I get my new Mac, and I cant wait! Read the details here.

I have my PC running in tip top shape. I have all the programs I need to run efficently, and burn my dvds. Making the switch to Mac doesnt seem to scary, but finding all new software does. I have been reading these forms and doing some research, and I have compiled a list of the software I will be purchasing/downloading. I was wondering if you guys could let me know what you think and maybe recommend some programs that would help me out. Here's what I got so far:

Open Office- I am not going to pay for Microsoft Office when this is practically identical and free. Does it get any better? =)

Virus Barrier- I know viruses are rare, but you never know, and I want to have something just in case. This seems like the best bet.

Firefox- My web browser for a little PC comfort.

Main Menu- On my PC I used a nifty little program called CCcleaner. This seems to clean up unused files and things like that. Does it handle spyware?

MacTheRipper- DVD Ripper

DVD2xOne- Seems like the best dvd burner for straight copying, many new dvds require it.

---------------------------------------

Questions

1) I HATE Internet Explorer, will I be able to uninstall it when I get my Mac?

2) I want to convert .AVI, I saw that free program in the useful software thread, so thats not a problem. But what would you guys reccomend to burn it once it is converted? A cheaper version of Toast perhaps? Something free?

3) I keep hearing about the "font problem". Apparently there are TONS of fonts on the Mac that you dont need and uninstalling them saves alot of space. I saw some programs for this, but I hear it can be easy to mess up and I didnt want to jump into anything without asking you guys =) Do you guys remove fonts? And if so, how do you do it?

4) I use AOL IM and sometimes Yahoo! Messenger, I saw that one program that combines like a million things in one.....but its name escapes me. Is that one the best?

5) Spyware protection?

6) This may sound stupid, but I have never used a mac for more than like normal computing during high school, so I know NOTHING of Mac maintence. Is there a program on the Mac for Hard Drive Defragmentation?

7) How about some games? I'll have 2.0ghz and 2GB Memory.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

there is some great info in this thread. check it out!

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Niiiice. Thanks a bunch =)
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
Niiiice. Thanks a bunch =)
my pleasure.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan

Brendan is a jewel in the roughBrendan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
Questions

1) I HATE Internet Explorer, will I be able to uninstall it when I get my Mac?

2) I want to convert .AVI, I saw that free program in the useful software thread, so thats not a problem. But what would you guys reccomend to burn it once it is converted? A cheaper version of Toast perhaps? Something free?

3) I keep hearing about the "font problem". Apparently there are TONS of fonts on the Mac that you dont need and uninstalling them saves alot of space. I saw some programs for this, but I hear it can be easy to mess up and I didnt want to jump into anything without asking you guys =) Do you guys remove fonts? And if so, how do you do it?

4) I use AOL IM and sometimes Yahoo! Messenger, I saw that one program that combines like a million things in one.....but its name escapes me. Is that one the best?

5) Spyware protection?

6) This may sound stupid, but I have never used a mac for more than like normal computing during high school, so I know NOTHING of Mac maintence. Is there a program on the Mac for Hard Drive Defragmentation?

7) How about some games? I'll have 2.0ghz and 2GB Memory.
1) The newest Internet Explorer isn't even available for Mac! It doesn't come factory installed, either.

2) No clue, sorry. Toast seems to be the most talked about, though.

3) No clue. However, if your worried about freeing up space, you may want to just not run Virus software, as there is really no need for it. I highly doubt you will get a virus.

4) I can almost gurantee your talking about Adium.

5) Again, you most likely won't need this.

7) Not too many big games out for Mac. World of Warcraft, maybe - but I doubt it will run that well.

Hope this helped. +Rep for the good questions.

Brendan Welsh
Aluminum Macbook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Thanks for all the help guys! I dont even have my Mac in front of me yet (1 Week, 6 Days, 23 Hours, 59 Minutes, but who's counting?) and I already have a better handle on things.

People keep telling me not to worry about the viruses and spyware and I just cant seem to get past that, the Windows Trojans have had a feild day with me, something tells me stepping into the world of Mac will be equilvant to being told I won the lottery while being wisked away to the playboy mansion.

Adium was definatly that program, thanks a ton! I cant believe after reading that guide that different programs have different color bars on them. I guess I am used to windows where they are all blue, thank God that guide listed a program to unify them all, that would drive me up a wall.

Heres what I was talking about with the fonts, I actually meant foregin ones, like foregin languages. Link.

Also:

Onyx vs Main Menu?

Seems like Main Menu wins, Onyx users seem to have alot of gripes with it, which is a shame because it looks like it does more. Anyone use these?

+Reputation for all the EXTREMELY helpful answers. I looked around at a few Mac forums, and some people just get offended at the fact that you are new, people around here really want to help, I plan on frequenting this website for some time.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I use OnyX regularly and have NO complaints at all. It does what it says it will do, and does it well. Thats at least one vote for OnyX! However, I have also heard MainMenu spoken highly of (MHC here? :dive: )

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I use OnyX regularly and have NO complaints at all. It does what it says it will do, and does it well. Thats at least one vote for OnyX! However, I have also heard MainMenu spoken highly of (MHC here? :dive: )
Thats good to hear. I heard it gets rid of some preferences in quicktime and such. Does it effect anything in your itunes?
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

^That website has some cool programs, including a free DVD burner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSync and Sim Cards | SteerMouse updated »