New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Civ 3 or Civ 4 for my Mac Book?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tukewl4u720

tukewl4u720 is on a distinguished road

they're pretty much the same price, so which should I get? I read the reviews for both but they're so conflicting that I'm not sure. Will Civ 4 not work on my mac book? I have 1 gb ram, that's all I really know about it. I know, shame shame for not understanding my own machine, but alas, the symantics have never been that interesting to me. And if Civ 4 WILL work, is it a major improvment or a disappointment over Civ 3? Thanks
Theison

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

civIV just barely works on my macbook. it runs after telling you it won't run, and you basicallly have to turn off all the animations, sounds, and eye candy. you'll also have much better luck with a small map and few civs. and actually as you progress it gets slower and slower.

you may not have much luck with civIII either since i'm pretty sure it's not a universal binary. it'll probably run, but very slowly and really tax the system.

the macbooks are in a weird place. there are a lot of ppc games that seem like they should run fine but are very slow. and there aren't a lot of universal games that are resource lean enough to run really well in OSX (though some people have gotten some games to work ok). check this thread for more info:

what games are working on your macbook

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Specialk51288

Specialk51288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo | 3 GB RAM | 160 GB HD

I got Civ 4 to work with all the settings turned down while in windowed mode. It still crashed every few hrs...either that or all the tile improvements turned black which forced me to restart the game. I have an MBP with 3gb of RAM and it still didnt work out too well...

Life is a game, whoever has the most money at the end wins.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

that's surprising! a macbook pro should handle that just fine. maybe not windowed, but i can't imagine that would make too much difference.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
the macbooks are in a weird place. there are a lot of ppc games that seem like they should run fine but are very slow. and there aren't a lot of universal games that are resource lean enough to run really well in OSX (though some people have gotten some games to work ok). check this thread for more info:

what games are working on your macbook
That's a good point about the MacBook - I have given up ever gaming on it... but I have a PSP and Xbox360 for that, so not too worried.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
tukewl4u720

civ 3 should work on the macbook. They're selling new still, they're not that old. yes, i agree that the macbooks are weird, and i just got mine. searching for games I'D ACTUALLY want to play, it's hard to find ones in that small window. I like strategy stuff, but i'm not interested in any sort of wow games. I loved Caesar on the pc, and civ 2 on the pc, and i like sims. But it's hard finding games around that. I'm considering aoe 2 but I'm not sure if i'll like it. I finally found what appeared to be a perfect game, stronghold, only to discover macsoft doesn't make them anymore and no one's selling it. sigh.
QUOTE Thanks
Specialk51288

stronghold 2 is out...but i dont think there is a mac version available yet

QUOTE Thanks
tukewl4u720

yeah there's not. it sux, that looks like a really cool game. no way i'm shelling out for windows though, way too much investment. hopefully somebody it'll put it out eventually, though of course by then our computers will be too fast for it and it'll all be in vain. lol, ok now i'm just whining, but i really want to play some cool games and every one i'm interested in seems to be unavailable
QUOTE Thanks
Specialk51288

i kno exactly how u feel...i love strategy games like AOE and Civ 3&4 and Sims 2...and Ive gone thru the same thing with not being able to find games that were atleast stable enough to run...XP was my last option and I didnt like having to get a copy of it, but someone on this site directed me to where I can find an OEM copy, which is alot less than a retail version...heres the link

QUOTE Thanks
tukewl4u720

hey thanks specialtalk, that's a good link
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I love Civilization. The only Sid Meir's game I like more is Pirates! I hope they bring that to the Mac.

Its weird games dont run well, you would think with a 2.0GHz and 3GB ram you could run just about anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Specialk51288

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukewl4u720 View Post
hey thanks specialtalk, that's a good link
no problem...

QUOTE Thanks
tukewl4u720

i gotta say, that's something great about pcs. i bought old, new, w/e, and I was good to go. With my macbook I'm going insane finding the exact compatabilities. I love the mac as a product, but i want cool games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SteerMouse updated | What games will play on a Macbook »