New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

VLC player troubles

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Btfrost

Btfrost is on a distinguished road

Hello, thanks for reading. VLC keeps trying to open odd files that it's not supposed to. Whenever a program tries to bring up a web page or open connect to a website itself VLC tries to open it. I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling but that didn't work. It really would be nice to be able to download updates and such, does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

what filetype is it trying to open?
If it's not a video file, and you know what the file should be opening in, try this:
Select the file and Get Info (apple+i) Somewhere down the bottom, there should be an 'open with' menu. If the app you want the file to open with is there, select it, otherwise choose 'browse'. Next, choose 'change all' and confirm. Try double clicking the file then.

I'm not sure why it would be doing this in the first place though. I don't think one can accidentally change settings like that, and it's certainly not default for VLC to be doing that.

QUOTE Thanks
Btfrost

I have absolutly no Idea what the file is that its trying to open, or even if it is a file... Like when I click update software in Mellel, it just ends up opening VLC player :S.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

hmm...very odd. I'd just avoid using that method of updating then. I'd manually download the updates through a browser. That should probably do the trick.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Doesn't this have to do with a messed up LaunchServices?

I would download and install MainMenu/, launch it and run the Rebuild LaunchServices action.

While at it I would also clean up all the caches, restart. Don't worry if you find your Mac starts up slower than normal, it is rebuilding its cache from scratch.
QUOTE Thanks
Btfrost

Thanks, rebuilding the launchservices did the trick ^_^.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent! Glad that got fixed! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating ISO images? | PC powerpoint files crashing!! »