New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

terminal issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bokeym

bokeym is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD

Hey all,

when i try to change to a super user (su), I am thrown the error message "su: Sorry" as if I typed in the wrong password. The password I am typing in is correct. I tried going into Sys Preferences and changing my password, but this doesn't seem to help at all. When I changed my password I DID exit out of console and go back in. I'm no sure what do do here. Furthermore, when my mac turns on, I do not get a login prompt. I went into Sys Prefs -> Accounts and did not see anything where I can enable this.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Technically, you can't be root in OS X, though you *can* have root privileges. For an action that requires root/admin privileges, use sudo.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that in order to use su you will have to enable the root account. Which is disabled by default.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

try su <Root user name> instead. (eg. su root)
QUOTE Thanks
bokeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
Technically, you can't be root in OS X, though you *can* have root privileges. For an action that requires root/admin privileges, use sudo.
Very interesting - this will fall under the "you learn something new everyday" catagory lol

I tried logging in as su root and su bokey (my user name), but to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The root account, by default, is disabled (as rman points out).

To enable it, you have to go into Applications -> Utilities -> NetInfo Manager and choose "Security --> Authenticate" and then "Enable Root User."

(The UNIX geek who's lived inside of me since 1986 is screaming "NO! NO!! NO!!" in my ears as I type this.)

Use these instructions at your own risk.

(There, he went quiet.)
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Caribiner is right (again ) Having root enabled can cause you MAJOR problems if you make a mistake as easy as the misplacement of "-" "r" "m" or "f"...

BE CAREFUL
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The easiest way to get a root shell without enabling your root account is like this:

sudo su -

exactly like that. Enter your password and you are root, with a full root environment. Note that you need to be an administrator user to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
bokeym

i'll try sudo when i get off of work -- sudo su always worked to force the scrips to run.

I've been working with linux and mac for a few years and I've done my fair share of "Oh My!"'s lol so trust me i know what can happen! thanks for the info caribiner23. I look at it this way: If you plan out what you're doing first, take your time, and know whats going to happen then enabling root should never be an issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Skype | MIME plugin »