New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.4 - Does the following Apps work on OSX?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

netlover

netlover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard

Im planning on getting a Mac soon but just needed few questions to be answered.

Will the following Windows Applications work on Mac OS X Tiger? If not, is there a replacement for them?

-Limewire.
-Bit Torrent Application (eg. uTorrent).
-Dance Ejay 6 and/or 7.
-Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 (Note: I have the CD for Windows, will the same one work on Mac?)
-VLC Media Player (Although I dont care much about this)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

-Limewire. - yes

-Bit Torrent Application (eg. uTorrent). - yes

-Dance Ejay 6 and/or 7. - no. You will be getting GarageBand if you order your computer from Apple

-Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 (Note: I have the CD for Windows, will the same one work on Mac?) - no and tehre is no replacement

-VLC Media Player (Although I dont care much about this) - yes

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
netlover

Thanks for the reply. So will all the above applications work on the Windows running on the Mac Bootcampt?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlover View Post
Thanks for the reply. So will all the above applications work on the Windows running on the Mac Bootcampt?
If they are Windows programs, and you install Windows, then they will work.
And just to clarify, all of the "yes" answers in my previous reply have a Mac version of their software that you would have to download and install.

Mac needs Mac software, Windows needs Windows software. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes. Windows via Boot Camp is exactly like running Windows on any other computer.

You might want to take a look at Parallels though, especially since you're only requirement is Visual Studio and it should run just peachy in Parallels.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

Thanks for the info guys. Im planning on getting the Macbook 2.0 which has 1 GB RAM.

I'll take a look at the parallel although I think Windows on bootcamp would function better since you dont need to allocate any RAM into that, right?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Boot Camp and Parallels work differently. Boot Camp essentially allows you to install Windows on your Mac just as you would on any other PC. Parallels lets you run Windows side by side with Mac OS X.

So Boot Camp uses your entire computer just like it would on any other computer. With Parallels, it has to share resources with OS X.

What Parallels has over Boot Camp is that you have to restart your computer if you want to use Windows under Boot Camp whereas with Parallels you can have Windows programs running right next to your Mac programs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

Are parallels free like bootcamp? And I take it the performance of the Windows Applications be affected when less RAM is given to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

on my computer, i could'nt get limewire to work. so if the same happens to you, use the program called "Poisoned" it is the same thing basically
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagger Pumper View Post
on my computer, i could'nt get limewire to work. so if the same happens to you, use the program called "Poisoned" it is the same thing basically
Go to download.com and search limewire for mac osx and you will find one for mac.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlover View Post
Are parallels free like bootcamp? And I take it the performance of the Windows Applications be affected when less RAM is given to it.
No, Parallels is not free, it costs $79 and it's well worth it. At this time Parallels doesn't yet run most 3d games so if your a gamer you will have to stick with Boot Camp. Just remember that once Lepord comes out that the beta of boot camp will quit working and you will probably have to buy Lepord to get it going again. Of course it would be worth it too, but i like the ability to not have to reboot and run both at once with Parallels.

As for winders apps running less on a Mac, that is not true, as a matter of fact the windows apps i run under Parallels actually run better than they do on my pc. With 1 gig of ram you should find no problems unless you get into some heavy multitasking, then you would probably need to increase to 2 gig of ram, just like you would on a pc machine.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
netlover

What exactly do you mean bootcampt will stop working once Leopard is released? Are you saying that if Im a current Tiger user runnning XP or Vista on bootcampt, it would all of the sudden just stop working?
QUOTE Thanks
Screwball6986

Screwball6986 is on a distinguished road

Basically BootCamp is going to be shipped out with Leopard what has yet to be seen, is If when Leopard is released, the current bootcamp (beta) will still work or not.....

1.5 ghz 15" Powerbook G4 10.4 Tiger
MacBook White 2.0Ghz C2D 1Gig 10.4 Tiger
MacMini 1.25Ghz G4 1GB 40GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« check book type application | The Retro Project »