New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to dim everything but active window?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyson0016

tyson0016 is on a distinguished road

Somewhere, in the past, I remember reading that you could dim out everything except the currently active window, but I haven't been able to find anything on it since then. Is this a built-in feature of OS X or only possible with a 3rd party app? Any info on how I can do this?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On my iMac G5 set up Stock it's the F10 key. Is yours a Notebook or imac?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

however you can not use the application when in this mode.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Mine is a macbook pro....
F10 adjusts the keyboard backlight brightness, F11 is Expose 'show desktop' and F12 is Dashboard.

There's not another option in the Expose preferences, but maybe somewhere else? I'm running OS X Tiger 10.4.8.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I remember reading about a program that dims the background and lets you focus on just one application. I tried it out and works exactly like it's advertised. Best part is that it's free :black:

Think
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Check System Preferences and click Desktop & Expose. See what Keys do what. Here is a screenshot of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (31.8 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You guys aren't reading his post. He isn't asking for Expose, he's asking for something that will let him focus on just one application while dimming everything else. Expose, while it dims the desktop, doesn't let you access any particular program by itself. So directing him to System Preferences is just going to waste his time.

Since Mac OS X doesn't have the particular function that he's asking for built in, a third part app is required.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Thanks, Kash. The "Think" app does the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
You guys aren't reading his post.He isn't asking for Expose, he's asking for something that will let him focus on just one application while dimming everything else.
Ahem:

Quote:
Somewhere, in the past, I remember reading that you could dim out everything except the currently active window, but I haven't been able to find anything on it since then.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

http://www.freemacware.com/doodim/ =)

QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

theres also a free app off apple's download page called OmniDazzle which lets u do that and more..its pretty sweet....(my favorite is the footprints that follow ur mouse across the screen)

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Well it seems I somehow forgot to ever reply to you guys. So sorry about that....

I ended up using Think and it works like a charm. I haven't tried any of the other recommendations because so far, Think does everything I need. Thanks for the suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple C Complier | Alternatives to iDVD? »