Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    How can I clear this??
    Hey guys-

    OK So you know how when you type in www....whatever, like safari will automatically fill in the rest for you, like of a site you've been to before? Like let's say I visit myspace every day, when I type in "www.m", it will automatically fill in the rest of it.

    How can I clear those sites off there? Like I 'reset safari' but it didn't get rid of those sites...

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,904
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtolife04 View Post
    Hey guys-

    OK So you know how when you type in www....whatever, like safari will automatically fill in the rest for you, like of a site you've been to before? Like let's say I visit myspace every day, when I type in "www.m", it will automatically fill in the rest of it.

    How can I clear those sites off there? Like I 'reset safari' but it didn't get rid of those sites...
    From Safari's Help menu:


    Resetting Safari
    If you use a shared or public computer, you may want to reset Safari to prevent other people from seeing what you have been doing.

    Resetting Safari clears the history, empties the cache, clears the Downloads window, and removes all cookies. It also removes any saved user names and passwords or other AutoFill data and clears Google search entries.

    In addition, any open windows are closed and a new window opens. The new window has a new history for the Back and Forward buttons and the SnapBack buttons.


    Choose Reset Safari from the Safari menu and click Reset.

    If you reset Safari, then cookies saved by other applications, such as Sherlock, may also be removed.
    I can't seem to find any more selective way to purge the history (which is where the autocompletetion of URLs comes from).

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    UGHHH that sucks!!
    the history deleted, but the autocompletion didn't!

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,904
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtolife04 View Post
    UGHHH that sucks!!
    the history deleted, but the autocompletion didn't!
    I don't use Safari all that often, but that was about the only tip I was able to glean from searching through the help file. IMO, that's yet another reason to use Firefox.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2005
    Posts
    128
    Try opening preferences, and go to the autofill tab. Try deleting those.

  6. #6

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    When viewing p0rn... errrrr...websites that you don't want cached, use "Private Browsing". Safari>>>>Private Browsing>>>>OK.

  7. #7

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Back it up 1st... Then delete: ~/Library/Safari/History.plist

    "~" is HOME

    Then relaunch Safari

  8. #8

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Its the autofill thats doing some of it, and the history.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    When viewing p0rn... errrrr...websites that you don't want cached, use "Private Browsing". Safari>>>>Private Browsing>>>>OK.


    i swear it's not porn sites i want to get rid of!!!!! lol
    i know about private browsing and if i was watching porn i would use it...haha
    ;-)


    i just want to get rid of all the crap that's already on there.
    aka some of the sites on there just make me look like a nerd/stalker that's all......
    hahaaaaaaa

  10. #10

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtolife04 View Post
    i swear it's not porn sites i want to get rid of!!!!! lol
    i know about private browsing and if i was watching porn i would use it...haha
    ;-)


    i just want to get rid of all the crap that's already on there.
    aka some of the sites on there just make me look like a nerd/stalker that's all......
    hahaaaaaaa
    Stalker??? LOL... are there Stalker forums??? ?

    Did you delete the ~/Library/Safari/History.plist???

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    Stalker??? LOL... are there Stalker forums??? ?

    Did you delete the ~/Library/Safari/History.plist???

    LOL
    not quite.
    but i have the type of friends who will pick on me for the TINIEST things...



    but ok before i delete it why do i need to back it up? and where should i back it up to?

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    i think it got rid of some but not all of them...

  13. #13

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Just "Copy" to the Desktop.... Really it's just for you to feel comfortable, I didn't back-up mine, just trashed it... Now the only things in the auto-complete url are my existing bookmarks.

    Secret: (Shhhh...)
    Another way to avoid people seeing what URL's you have been to is to simply type the URL in a Google search, then choose the link from the resulting page. That way you never touch the URL.

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Sep 02, 2006
    Posts
    198
    ok thanks

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2008
    Posts
    65
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15". 2.8GHz. 320GB@7200.
    So how does one delete the search field (drop down box of history) from Google? While playing with Safari, I noticed this and cannot find a way to clear it? Can it be done?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cls and Clear
    By radhagummuluri in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 08:23 PM
  2. Clear up space?
    By AppleCider in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
  3. how to clear off everything but the apps
    By jrod81 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
  4. Clear Dock Help?!
    By bennjiboi in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 01:04 AM
  5. So I thought I was in the clear..
    By MarteDVX in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •